Confusing Labs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have not been feeling well for months. Finally got in and had some blood work done by both a primary and a rheumatologist. I'm very confused. It shows my iron very high, iron saturation rate high, red blood count very low, and vitamin d low. Ferritin is within range, but on the low low end, also hemoglobin is within range, but on the low end. I am not taking any iron supplements. All other labs were normal. They want me to go back in this week or next and do another draw to see if anything changes. If not, should I ask for a referral to a Hematologist? The really strange thing to me is that my iron was always low in the past and they would tell me to take iron supplements, but I have stomach issues and I can't take iron so it's been a long time since I've taken any and now my iron is really high. I've never been diagnosed with any blood or liver diseases, but a friend mentioned I could have haemochromatosis and that is how I found this forum.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nichole. You don't have the classic sign of Genetic Haemochromatosis (GH) as I understand it because your ferritin is not high, that would be the usual signpost but as you say, your iron is high and saturation high ( which can be due to other things and if you didn't take a fasting blood test that will raise it too). I would certainly see a haematologist as there seems to be something going on, even if you could get your GP to email the test result through for them to comment. Good luck, be persistent with what you want to happen. Have a look at the Haemochromatosis Society web pages for some great information.

• Posted

A TS% >45% usually indicates genetic haemochromatosis.  Are you losing blood another way that is keeping your ferritin low, i.e. heavy menstruation, coeliac disease, helicobacter pylori, bleeding from the bowel, etc.  Are you vegetarian?

As Lisa says, go armed with information regarding haemochromatosis, and you can form your questions from your understanding of this information.

Good on your friend for making you aware of haemochromatosis.

A practitioner's brand of Vit D3 forte drops is best for low vitamin d.  Some of us don't absorb vit d from tablet form.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you both for your helpful information! I did take a fasting blood test. I actually have a very light to almost non-existent menstruation and already had Celiac Disease ruled out years ago. I am a semi-vegetarian I guess, just really picky, I do not eat red meat or drink milk (lactose intolerant). I'm just finding it so strange that for years they kept telling me my iron was low and wanted me to take iron supplements, which I did not because of stomach issues, and now all of a sudden my iron is high. Iron 231, Saturation 55%, Ferritin 16, Vitamin D 29, RBC 4.08, HGB 12.6, HCT 37.1%. I just looked back on previous lab results from 2016 it shows they didn't bother doing an Iron/TIBC check, but my RBC, HGB, and HCT were all low then as well. And looking back at 2013 I'm seeing a high Reticulocytes RBC count at 0.27 with low Vitamin B12 at 181. My Iron was normal in 2013 at 83, but TIBC was high 492 and Saturation was low at 17%, Ferritin was low 10.4%. I feel like the numbers are bouncing all around, Saturation and Iron were both low in the past and now they're both high. I printed out all the previous labs to take with me. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Nichole, a visit to a haemotologist would be worthwhile to explain/investigate all those fluctuating levels.  Some of your blood test levels are expressed differently to where I live, e.g. ref range for Iron is 10-30umol/L, which could be 100-300 in your reference ranges, which would make your iron level of 231 normal.  My ref range for RBC is 3.9-5.6 and HCT is 0.35-0.47 which is probably 35-47 in your reference ranges, etc, etc.

TIBC is high when other Iron Studies levels are low, and vice versa.  What I have found when questionning my haemotologist about levels that are out of range is that most are of little concern because accompanying levels are ok.  So it seems that a set of levels have to be out of range to be meaningful.  Most frustrating when I need an explanation.

My ref range for Vit B12 indicates it just has to be >150.  My husband cannot absorb B12 from tablets, and he is a red meat eater which should be giving him plenty of B12, so has to have enzyme injections.  I am ok with B12 but can't absorb vit D.

Low copper can make iron high, and vice versa too.  Possibly worth investigating.  Your stomach issues could be causing absorption problems, so perhaps more investigation there.

Best of

• Posted

I also noticed that even though my creatinine is within normal range, my glomerular filtration rate is low. Was at 81 last year, I'm only 34 so I don't think it should be that low. It's supposed to be over 90.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.