confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed about a year ago with UC. Had a couple of flares since but didn't last too long. I think I'm now in another flare. I'm in pain with stomach cramps, I have to run to the toilet but not too many times and I have a temperature and feel quite ill. I saw a GP yesterday evening who diagnosed a virus because I haven't seen any blood when I go to the toilet. I also have diverticulitis by the way! I'm confused because It feels nearly the same as before. I want to believe him because I have so much work to do. However I feel really quite awful. I feel as If I'm floundering a bit. I take pentasa 1g twice a day. The GP told me to carry on but take panadol too. I could cancel my work. I know I should make up my own mind but there really isn't anyone I can turn to at the moment. I would be grateful for any advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If this is a flare up the stress of your work won't help. Personally I don't get pain with UC just blood and mucus.

• Posted

I know what you mean. Work causes stress and not meeting obligations likewise. I feel a bit caught up in a trap. I think that the doctor not knowing and being really vague didn't help. 

• Posted

Hi

Pentasa only controls uc. You may need steroids to bring it down then pentasa on a daily basis? It sounds like what my my had issues with and the reason was her dosage was to low. She takes two lots of 4 tabs a day 8 in total each of 25mg. Seems to be working

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I made an emergency appointment and saw a nurse. She didn't seem to know anything about UC or diverticulitis. Just told me to take stronger pain killers. In her opinion I shouldn't have any constipation or a pain in my side. She also said that because a blood test I had a few weeks ago didn't show any markers I must be okay. I'm off food, I have a stomach ache on and off and sometimes I feel quite unwell. I rush to the toilet a few times a day when I can't go at all! It's so wearing to not be able to get advice. I seem to have developed a real problem with health anxiety now. My next appointment with the gastro doctor is the end of March. The first time I've actually looked forward to go to a hospital appointment.

• Posted

My mum had the blood tests infamatry marker ESR was high but the ca125 and CEA were normal. She has uc and dv. Pain in lower belly area and was an absess due to infected dv. This absess had all got stuck down to the pelvic area. She has a bag now but never been better. Before this a belly examination found a palable mass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.