PBC and Liver Transplant

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I just need some advice, I have been put on the Liver Transplant list now due to my PBC which is killing my own blood cells.  I have been told that it may take up a year for a transplant.

I am currently working as a temp but would like to get back to a permanent position but have a bit of a dilemma.  I have a possibility of an interview for a permanent position and am now wondering whether I need to tell them that I am on the list bearing in mind that if I get the faithful call that they have a liver I will have to drop everything and go.  I did have a permanent position a few months back and to my detriment I was honest with them and did tell them about my liver condition and as I was still within my 3 month probabtionary period they kindly let me go giving the excuse that I was not organising my boss as well as they think I should have been (lousy excuse, oh but they sent me a big bunch of flowers to say thank you).  Anyway anyone any ideas ?   A lot of people have told me not to say anything, although it is rather obvious that I am ill as I have jaunice now due to also having Auto Immune Heppatis.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Personally I would not say anything unless directly questioned.

As for your jaundice, I would say that it is down to gallbladder stones.

This is on the assumption that you are just trying to get a permanent job. If it is because there is a health scheme attached and you are hoping to take advantage of this, then that is a completely different matter.

• Posted

Hi, this is my dilemma if I don't say anything and I do get a call saying they have a liver I will be off for a considerable amount of time which isn't fair on them really.  Don't know all the details of the job as yet but doubt it comes with a health scheme.  I don't know what advantages that would have in any case, never had one with a job.  I can't go private for a liver transplant no point as you can only get one when a suitable donor comes along.  I know my jaundice is due to the Auto Immune Hepatitis.

• Posted

Well, you know the answer. Tell them and the chance of getting the job is probaly zero. Don't tell them and hope it doesn't come for a year and then you can say that nothing was really properly known at the time of your interview.

I have had a brain haemorrhage and been admited to hospital for possible liver failure previously, at the same time. I don't do permanent jobs any more, self employed or temp work only. I find I become a non person when I put any of this on any application form.

• Posted

Hi kazmark, I agree with nandrews. Your new employers could in theory sue you for not telling them if you end up being signed off, or even leaving the job because of health problems, quoting training expenses, disruption of their business etc. I don't think claiming you didn't know at the time of your application would work either sadly as they would find out from your medical records. I know it seems unlikely to happen but I know someone who was taken to court by her employer for not working her notice, and the employer won!

• Posted

For my mind I would say tell them and tell them everything. Be honest with them.

?Look at it from their point of view. They are offering you a job and expecting you to do it diligently and honestly. How would you feel if they employed you without telling you the company was about to close and so you wouldn't get paid?!

?If you want the job and show them how much you want/need it then perhaps they will see your situation and offer it to you, perhaps with a few conditions.

?It might be when you take the job you are contracting that you have told them of any future problems. To pretend there are none and not tell them may be a breach of contract.

• Posted

Hi thanks for responding.  Yes that is what I want to do but family and friends keep saying not to say anything but as I have said to RHGB above, if I get the call that they have a liver, I will need to go straightaway and if I haven't told them this would be very unfair but then again, the doctors have said that I will probably be waiting for over a year anyway.  Still in a quandry???

• Posted

I would tell them, and explain the whole situation (ie. you will need to go straight away when you get the call, but the doctor has said you could be waiting for a while). If they give you the job, you know they have all the facts, and can't complain when you do have to go in. Good luck with the job and your liver transplant. Hope you don't have too long to wait.

• Posted

HI Claire

That is what I'm thinking but I bet they don't give me a job but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Claire

• Posted

If you're not really bothered about getting the job then go ahead and tell them.

If you really want the job, then don't say anything. Would you expect any possible employer to say you've got the job, well done. Then they say, but the company might go bust in the next year or two?

No-one can tell you what to do, it's your decision 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.