Excercise?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, so here's my story. Up until recently my sciatica was pretty manageable. It started to get worse so I decided to go back to my GP. He was quite thorough to be fair, but only suggested I try lumbar exercises. These seemed to help a bit to start with, but then after one session I was in agony and have been since. The pain is ridiculous, mainly down my left leg. I can't stand still in one position without it being excruciating. I was hoping to get some advise on whether I should give it time and see if it eases or go back to my GP. He did great be me Naproxen for the pain, but not many. Has anyone tried the paingone pen? I'm starting to get depressed with it and to my husbands diss appointment, out sex life is non existent! Thanks for reading, hope someone can help x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had sciatica from time to time in my hockey-playing days when I would fall awkwardly on one hip or the other.  Chiropractor..."pretzel twist", walked out pain-free.

Five years ago, it came back again but not from any trauma.  Pain shots, chiropractor, PT, meds...nothing helped.  MRI showed something but the neurosurgeon wasn't sure.  He went in and found a bone spur "crushing" (his word) my sciatic nerve root at L4.  Filed it off, sewed me up, walked out, zero pain a few days later after the nerve inflammation eased up.  Laminectomy...simple fix...

• Posted

Hi I would definitely go back to your doctor as something is obviously not right. He will probably send you to physio first, well that's what they done with me, then as my exercises they were giving me were making me worse after a couple of months they then sent me for an MRI, which is really what you need to find out what is wrong exactly then you can work from there, as some exercises can make things worse depending what your problem is

• Posted

Hi Sandra. Sorry to hear you're in pain. I went through the exact issue. I couldn't even walk for awhile. My doctor prescribed Naproxen and muscle relaxers. After not sleeping for more than 3 hours a night on my knees, the muscle relaxers and naproxen took down the swelling and I was able to sleep on my stomach for FOURTEEN hours, woke up with almost no pain. It was literally like a miracle.

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone, its so nice to know I'm not alone in this! I've decided to try and get some physiotherapy at the local hospital. Hopefully they'll accept me asap and I can try and sort this. It's a great comfort to hear there is possibly light at the end of the tunnel 😘

• Posted

I had sciatica for 2 years and tried various pain killers and physio. Pain became so bad that I agreed to a spinal decompression operation. Had the op on 1st June 2016. Took around 12 weeks to fully recover but I am now pain free and it is absolute bliss. My view is that the sciatic pain is caused by nerves being trapped/compressed. Some people are cured by physio alone about 70 percent so I am told

suggest you persevere wth the medics

😃

• Posted

Same thing five years ago.  Bone spur crushing the sciatic nerve root.  Simple laminectomy...instant relief.
  • Posted

Hi Sandrajune1972, my name is Patricia. I followed you here from the Spine site. By all means see if PT works for you, but if not, please think about getting a consult with a neurosurgeon. If you go back to the previous site to read my story and advice to others, I think that you might benefit from a series of steroid injections. These Docs just don't have a clue how bad sciatic pain can be. I had to deal w/ it 11/8/16 (yup Election Day) till 1st set of injections 3 down each side of the spine on 1/17/17. A little more than 2 months but agony to say the least. To sit down was the only thing that stopped the sciatic pain deep in my right hip, down my leg to my right foot, and in no way I ready to spend the rest of my life in a sitting position. I couldn't walk more than 5 ft before the excurciating pain started, yet sitting took me back to normal. I didn't understand that at all. My fusion 2 yrs before was at L4-L5 and I did really well for 2 yrs. I must tell you I have been told by my current neurosurgeon that I "have a really crummy back". My advice is get a copy of every MRI or X-ray for a better idea of what your docs are or are not saying to you. In my case I have clusters of bone spurs up and down my spine, so back or neck pain is always going to haunt me as I get even older. I will be 69 next month. With one set of injections I got relief of the right buttock/hip pain but the burning/cramping in the lateral calf muscle down to the top of the right foot only 25% relief. I go for a second set next week and hopefully that will do the trick for awhile. This is new ground for me, so I really don't know how my body is going to react. Will certainly get back to you if good news or not. Good luck and God bless.

• Posted

Good advice from 2Locin. I agree, but do see a neurosurgeon that is more versed in nerve problems of the spine. Again, good luck.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention that I had a couple of steroid injections while on my physio program. Effect of these only lasted about 2 - 3 weeks so I am not a big fan of cortisone injections. My concern is that an MRI scan clearly showed that my spinal cord was compressed by a bulging disc mainly plus some bony spurs. The excess disc was trimmed and the spurs cleaned out both sides on L4 and L5. I would have asked for an MRI referral earlier     knowing what I know now. I do believe that anyone with constant sciatic pain that is not responding to treatment should ask their gp for an MRI referral. 

Good luck 

😃🕺🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.