2 attacks of pancreatitis with normal MRCP

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an attack of pancreatitis 2 years back again I had now . ct scan and MRCP show just edematous pancreas . but the cause is not findout. 😕idiopathic .I won't drink. I am just worried if this continues throughout my life. Does anyone in the same condition?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had an acute attack in Feb. 2013, another in June of 2015, and a really bad one, acute necrotizing pancreatitis in June 2016. I was told this last time that it could happen again if I don't change my diet. Nobody mentioned anything about my diet the previous 2 times unfortunately. Now I am on a pretty strict very low calorie, low sugar and absolutely no alcohol diet so hopefully it won't happen again. I was so sick this last time and was in hospital for 3 months, 2 weeks in ICU so I hope it doesn't happen again. I hope you don't have it again either so that's why I tell you about the diet in case your hospital or Doctor didn't tell you. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi - I found this forum while looking for one in the US, but figure it is the same ailment so I'll participate here.  I had an acute pancreatitis attack Nov 2015, and my doctor immediately put me on a VERY low fat diet (well, after 2 weeks of only clear liquids and a slow re-introduction to solid foods via yogurt and oatmeal, etc.).  She also told me NO alcohol ever, but after about 6 months I wondered that maybe the pancreas had gotten into shape enough to handle a glass of wine now and then.  I also started drinking caffeine (coffee and non decaf tea) again.  Well, I'm now about 3 weeks into a "flare up" and have cut all alcohol and caffeine again, done the clear liquid diet for several days and easing back into my normal low fat diet again.  My new bloodwork and CAT were all good, tho as expected the pancreas is inflamed. Only the lipase level is elevated, but only 54 (just 4 above normal) as opposed to the 1300 when I had the acute attack.  I have an appointment with a gastrointestinologist in 10 days.  She (my regular doctor) also put me on omeprezol for 2 weeks to ease the gas and heartburn symptoms.  I am hoping to get back to what had become my normal diet again -- although this time I am going to be serious about the no alcohol or caffeine EVER again.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.