My progressing Meniere

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today i have a meeting with my ent. After he check all my history he said to me that my meniere is progressing up to the point the the cohlean will "burn" and stop working. SO all side effect will continue and get worst. 

His only solution is to have injections in the ear. Firstly steriots that will not kill my hearing and then something else ( i did not keep the name) that will kill the nausea and the rest but also the hearing at the affected ear. ( 80-90 % loss now). This scares me.

What do u people think i should do. Will i be able to put at least a hearing aid or implat to be able to hear? In the damaged ear? 

The ok ear is somehow affected BUT has only maybe 20%loss

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Intratympanic steroids is okay and should be tried in your case.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Yes, try the steroids first.  I had a series of 4 shots over a period of weeks and it worked.  The gentimicin shots are, in my opinion, a drastic step used if nothing else worked.  My ent said that the steroids could be given again if vertigo flared up again, but so far so good.  My shots were given over a year ago.
    • Posted

Dear Lana thanks. Did it bring some of u hearing back. or did it only cured vartigo?

• Posted

It stopped the vertigo.  My hearing stayed the same.  I wear a hearing aid that helps with the hearing as well as helps with the tinnitus.
  • Posted

Dear Marioscy,

Based only on my own experience ( I realize that everyone is different and should only make this decsion in partnership with a good ENT or Otolaryngologist),  would go with the steroid injections, first.  And you may require several in order to get your symptoms under control.  The good news is that the steroids do not damage the inner inner - You can receive as many as you need in order to get control.  Many people are unable or unwilling to wait for the monthly injections to kick in, but if you are patient and able to manage the eipisodes with medication while you wait, you might benefit tremendously. The injections typically result in a GRADUAL reduction of the frequency and intensity of the episodes, until finally, they diminish.    A good set of rescue meds while you wait for them to completely kick in, is a good idea.  And alsso, it's valuable to keep a log of your episodes on a calendar so that you can track your improvement over time; sharing that log with your doctor with each visit.   It's the longer term approach, but for me, it was the one that preserved what hearing I had left, while eventually eliminating vertigo, fatigue, fog brain, dizziness and loss of balance, entirely.  Sadly, the fluctuating tinnitus and hearing loss persisits. I hope to preserve some of my hearing so that I will be a good candidate for a hearing aid. 

Then next step — Gentamycin, is an entirely different treatment.  It has more dramatic side effects, and some are long lasting.  It's something to consider if all else fails, but I can't imagine that anyone would recommend it as the first line of treatment after diet and oral medications have failed..  

I wish you only the best.  I know very well, how incapacitating this disease can be.

Sincerely,

J-

• Posted

Thanks jmj, i suggested the steroids to the doctor. He said to me firstly to kill the nerve to stop the dizzines. But that means totaly def from the one ear. Before taking any step he will do various tests on me. I will visit also an oral doctor for tmj
    • Posted

You're very welcome!  I hope you find the right treatment for you, soon.  

Take good care,

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.