Daughter has mystery sores on scalp!

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter has sores on her head than came back negative as fungal, and didn't go away with antibiotics. They appeared after she scratched her head so hard she drew blood. They first appeared on her part line as yellow pus looking (but not leaking) spots, then they gradually dry out and scab off, only to reappear. Antifungal cream, steroid cream only helped as far as the spots turning pink and smooth, but not healing completely. In some of the spots she suffered hair loss, but it is growing back. Its been a few months since this started and I'm desperate for a diagnosis. The dermatologist I took her to wants me to apply steroid gel for 2 months before he'll do a biopsy. She also has pre exsisting seborrhic dermatitis (looks like cradle cap) but i just started using Neutrogena tar gel and that works wonders on the oil buildup, but the sores are still there. Her hair type is thick and curly, and she has alot of hair. Think the book description of Hermione Granger's hair, that's my daughter. The spots will sometimes disappear in places and reappear in others. She has no other symptoms or known health conditions aside from ADD. Has anyone dealtd with anything like this before? Any ideas? I know its not ringworm since the spots aren't always circular, plus the fungal culture was negative. I am loathe to keep applying prescription steroid gel if its only treating the symptoms, especially without an actual diagnosis.

Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh also I haven't changed anything she's in contact with, like deterhen or anything. Her scratching her head was the catalyst for them to start appearing.

• Posted

You might have to play detective!  Have a look at the pictures of derm conditions.  The website I find most useful & I know my Consultant uses, is https://www.dermnetnz.org/.

I am assuming your daughter is still at school, so she might benefit from seeing a Paediatric Dermatologist rather than a General one.

I understand your anxiety about the use of steroids but you may find that your daughter will benefit from short term use of a steroid.  Has anyone checked that she isn't allergic to something?

• Posted

No, but I'm thinking that might be a good idea to do anyway, at least to rule it out.

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your daughters head? I too have been suffering with these sores on my scalp. I’ve been to numerous doctors and dermatologist and none of them have been able to figure out the cause. I’ve tried so many different things from antibiotics to steroids and even natural remedies. Some help but it never totally goes away. Like your daughter I have ADD. I take adderal 20mg twice a day. Is your daughter being treated for her ADD with any medication? I have always wondered if the sores could be from my medication. I forget the correct medical term for it, but it’s a skin eruption/rash from taking certain oral medications. Based off my research I never really found a correlation between the two, but when I read about your situation......I’m wondering if there could be. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.