Doctor has prescribed me bisoprolol 5mg for anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on propranolol half beta 80mg for about 3 months and now doc has decided they are not right for me and has prescribed bisoprolol has anyone had these ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was put on 2.5mg in December. Had to lower dose to 1.25mg 2 weeks ago due to awful side effects. Hope you get on better with them
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I was just wondering what your side effects were ? I've been on 2.5mg

For only 2 weeks and had to have my dosage lowered today as have been feeling awful! Shakey inside tired cold and generally like a zombie 😷

• Posted

Hi Kim,  I was prescribed Bisoprolol 10mg also Warfarin for Atrial Fibrulation and SVT. However, I do find it help with my anxiety.
  • Posted

I have been on bisaprolol for 6 months 2.5 dreadfull side effects but I'm hoping to come off them when I see my cardiologist in March I had a pulmonary embolism in August last year also on Sintrom same as warfarin good luck. 

• Posted

I was speaking with my doctor yesterday and talking about bisaprolol there are generic alternatives but by the time I discovered this forum I had been on it 3months . I must say I have been chatting with some lovely people and have gotten great support no 2people are the same and we are all taking beta blockers for different reasons.6 months ago I was on life support and thank god every day for my second chance , so do remember there are alternatives and don't suffer on in silence that's what your doctor is for .a lot of people on this forum have changed their g p and now are doing very well so don't be afraid to ask for help it is there also there are lots of other blogs out there so check them out and the best of luck keep well . 

• Posted

No one can predict an individual reaction to Bisoprolol.  You can see from this forum that many do suffer the life altering effects of chronic fatigue from this drug, even from quite a low dose, whilst others can tolerate high dosage without any side effects whatsoever.  I was one of those with the side effects but my husband is still on 5mg daily and has been for years without any ill effects.

So you can only give it a try and see how it goes with you.  It could be that you will sail along without even noticing any difference.  If you do find it makes you feel you have ton weights on your legs etc, then you visit your GP and ask for an alternative, some of which are listed here previously.  There is no harm in giving it a try if it has been advised for you.

• Posted

I was prescribed these for high blood pressure in November 2016- I am now off them after having bad side effects, breathing trouble, numbness all over body  and anxiety .  Personally I have never felt so bad in my life - also I was told I could come off the. Straight away as only on 1,25 mg, - but the withdrawal. Effects were even worse ! Resulting in me going to a& e, as I thought I was having a heart attack- and it's.owed my heart rate to 

after being off work for 2 weeks I am now feeling nearly normal I'm glad to say... but as said previously everyone is different and react in differant ways to medication - my  father takes.5mg and has done for years.

so all you can do is try them and see how you get on 

• Posted

hi kim yes im on bisoprolol im on 5mg was on 10mg but was out of breath all the time they make me tired a lot put weight on legs swelled hands and feet, dizzy spells and headaches.
  • Posted

I have been on them for about 3 years now 2.5mg for AF.
    • Posted

Although I now have a pacemaker and have had an AV node ablation, I still have AF which is now confined to the upper heart chambers which have been isolated, whilst the lower ones are electrically paced.  Therefore I still have to take the same medications as others with AF, as these procedures just lessened the symptoms and were not a cure, although I feel almost as good as I used to before all this began.

I know I cannot tolerate Bisoprolol in any dose and (against advice) elected not to take this.  I know that the pacemaker cannot slow an accelerated heart rate.  It is now two years on and if I become aware of a raised heartbeat I just take a Flecainide or two until it settles - so far it has always done so.  If this became a problem, then I would have to consider an alternative to Bisoprolol.  Just be aware Bisoprolol is not the only drug out there and there are others to try.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.