Hyperthyroid questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. 

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for the last year. In the last month I've started experiencing light-headedness when I stand up, which has got increasingly worse. Now I get light-headed on the slightest movement, even sitting down.

I've been taking my blood pressure and it's within normal range but low for me. Today it was 107/66 - for me, that's low.

I put "pulsatile tinnitus" and "dizziness on standing" through symptom checker on this site. One of the results suggested possible hyperthyroidism.

As I have an autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis) and a sister with Hashimoto's, I looked at other symptoms and there are quite a few that apply to me:

- Weight loss

- Night sweats

- Itching

- Heart palpitations

That's on top of the tinnitus and dizziness. So, I've booked an appointment with the GP for next week.

Is there anything I need to ask? Need to know? Should expect? Do you recommend me saying I'm concerned about thyroid issues or just let her work it out based on my symptoms?

Are there any symptoms I should be looking out for? 

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rena

Its hypothyroidism that causes low blood pressure not hyperthyroidism, I would ask for a blood test on thyroid function and an antibodies count.

This is what I'm waiting on results for as well as the results of an ultrasound scan I had yesterday for a lump. I have all these symptoms too apart from dizziness on moving, I get dizzy when I concentrate on something to much. Let us know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Hi. Thanks. Seems both hypo- and hyper- thyroid problems can cause low blood pressure. What I have specifically is orthostatic hypotension, which could be caused by something else entirely. Terrible heart palpitations at the moment though and it's just getting worse. 

• Posted

I had very severe hyperthyroidism but my BP was always really low (often less than 100/60) so it is perfectly possible to have low BP with hyper. Since treatment my thyroid levels are normal and my BP has gone up to a more normal range.
  • Posted

Hi Renal, I think you definitely need a blood test! That's the only way it can be confirmed! You could be aneamic? 😀

• Posted

My hemoglobin is 128 g/l, which is okay. I don't know about ferritin though.

• Posted

I would tell your doc the symptoms you mentioned above, i.e. the weight loss, night sweats, heart palpitations and the fact that thyroid disease is in your family history.  You have many more symptoms because you may have more than thyroid disease but those are the ones that would trigger a thyroid investigation.  Also if your thyroid lab tests, i.e. TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 are abnormal indicating thyroid problems, I would want to know the cause - is is an autoimmune disease like Graves or Hashimotos (or possibly both)?  You would need antibody testing and other tests to determine the cause.  If you have Hashimoto's at all (even with Graves) from what I have seen from patients who have Hashi's that post to this Board, you will be extremely sensitive to prescribed meds,  When you know more, post your results to this Board.  Always get and keep a copy of any lab results or testing done on you and post those to this Board when seeking input from us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.