Saw my Cardiologist

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm sorry but he just made me angry and made me feel stupid. They found my PE on Oct 31 and started me on Xarelto reading the drug paperwork it says that the thinners will not dissolve the blood clot so that's what I was thinking. This Dr laughed at me and said it was gone within 5 days of starting the medicine or I would be in shock. I asked him why am I still short of breath and in pain so often and he said I was out of shape. I said I wasn't out of shape before I got the blood clot and I sure haven't laid in bed since I got it.

Any way now he his going to do a 2 day stress test on my heart and an echo to see if there is anything g wrong there. Dang I'm just angry at the jumbled up information I get.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this, but sadly, it's not unusual. Anticoagulants don't dissolve clots, they decrease the speed at which the blood forms a clot, allowing your body itself to dissolve the clot. I was in bed for two months with PE and could only sit up for a few hours at a time for another month, then took several more months before I stopped having to nap everyday. I was told it would take six months to recover and after that I was still breathless. The tiny muscles around the rib cage get out of shape with so much rest and require exercises that target them. The big muscles in the front of the thigh, the quadriceps, use tremendous amounts of oxygen so also need targeted exercise after any lung disease. I was finally referred to pulmonary rehabilitation where I learned all this and stared exercises designed to target these muscles and finally started to get better.

• Posted

Why would a cardiologist tell me this and make me feel like a fool? My boyfriend has been telling me I'm over acting but darn it when you can't catch a good breath you just can't breathe! I saw the clot on the cat scan. You could lay a nickel on it. The size of the lungs in the picture was like an avacado. The comparison it seemed huge.! I told bf I just wouldn't share anymore how I'm feeling and he would just be left out of my medical discussions. I can leave his name off of the right to know paperwork.

• Posted

The way doctors talk to patients is extremely frustrating. Being told you are "out of shape" is similar to what I was told - that the clots were gone but my lungs had lost their fitness. What on earth is that supposed to mean? It wasn't until I got to pulmonary rehab that the nurse explained it to me. If you can access it where you live, I can't recommend it highly enough. Also, I believe that it's quite normal to have an echocardiogram after PE - I had one.  I don't think what the cardiologist told you is correct. Some clots never dissolve and the lungs can be permanently damaged from PE. It can take months and even years to recover your stamina after PE. There are a couple of websites that I found really helpful. One is http://www.clotconnect.org/patients and the other is http://bloodclotrecovery.net.

• Posted

I went right to the medicines website that I'm on. That is where I found out it won't dissolve the blood clot. If the medicine itself admits it wouldn't you tend to believe them first??? I mean they researched their medicine.

I am going to see a neurologist I trust and talk to him about my migraines I'm also going to ask him about my findings. He is honest with me and doesn't talk down to me

• Posted

It seems like there are dishonest medical professionals online and in UK.

Patients and people that have or had multiple acute, chronic and massive clots whilst taking NOACS have a different thrombosis cognition base compared to phoney or fake doctor's living off the support of HM subjects, British residents and tax payers, NHS and pharmaceutical companies.

• Posted

Scream!!!! I get so out of breath if I bend over. I have to sit down and catch my breath. So cleaning house with a PE is a big chore. Especially with a boyfriend that has cleaning challenges he just never learned to pick up after himself.

He left to help out a friend for a few days (yea,what about me) so I went in to his bathroom. It looks like a public restroom somewhere,a truck stop. So while he's gone I start cleaning it. SCREAM the man needs a bump upside his head!! Who does that to a home??? And leaves it for someone else to clean???

Rant over. I don't think it helped my blood pressure either getting so upset and I know my lungs are working double time!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.