multi level spondylosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Iv had this for some time but have now got numbness in lower legs and sometimes a feeling of freezing pain in feet . Have seen spinal surgeon , neurosurgeon and neurologist who haven't given me any treatment and say it's to risky to operate . Is there anyway to ease these symptoms? 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What meds are you taking, why is it too serious to operate.

I am a fellow sufferer and am interested as I have problems at C4, 5,6-7 which causes simular symptoms.

Mike.

• Posted

I have not been given any medication just a tens machine 
  • Posted

Hi, every surgery has a risk have they explained why ? I had multi-level decompression surgery because of symptoms of numbness in upper and lower limbs my spinal cord was 2mm in width and a high risk surgery yet they listed me for urgent surgery. I belong to a Facebook group with over 1,530 members its called "Cervical Myelopathy Support Group" why not come and join us there are many in your situation too. Its a very friendly and support group. 

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I have cervical spondylosis and, touch wood, don't get problems, at the

moment caused by the spondylosis, in my legs.

However, 2 years ago I had a spinal cord stimulator fitted, connected to

my lower spine, which generates an electrical signal which blocks pain,

or rather masks the pain from sciatica.

Since I had problems with my lower spine, I do get sensations in both legs

as you described. Although, when I feel my lower legs and feet, they are

warm to the touch, it feels like my legs/feet are in a bucket with iced

water. I believe it stems from the nerve damage. Even when I wrap my

legs in a blanket, even my electric throw, I can't get rid of the feeling.

Unfortunately, I have found that the only way to get rid of the feeling is

for me to take extra dose of Oxycontin. I hate having to do that but it's the

only way I've found, so far, that works. Although, I have tried using Voltarol

Emulgel, rubbing it in at the lower back where the nerve root is, that

sometimes helps a bit.

I think the biggest danger is that, having altered sensations, (parathesia),

in the legs, you could quite easily burn yourself by trying to keep the legs

warm.

Knowing that someone else has the same or similar problems helps a little,

trying to explain, even to a doctor, can be very frustrating.

Hope this gives you some hope.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply . Could u please tell me what OxyContin are and what they are used for . I have never heard of them 

• Posted

Maria,

The safe treatment to start is usually physical therapy but it probably would be good to know what the doctors think is wrong and are they confident what is causing it?

I have had the freezing feet feeling you mentioned but it has since left and been replaced with chronic neck pain. My doctor's suggested cervical spine issues could not cause leg issues but I don't think there a unanimous consensus there.

I would suggest getting 2nd and 3rd opinions if you haven't already.

• Posted

Hi,

It's frustrating that some of the medical profession do not feel that cervical problems are associated with the legs.

I have c/s and my lower legs have a constant feeling of spiders walking up the outer legs. I cannot stand without my legs beginning to tremble and shake. My big toe and inner right leg have no feeling up to the knee, I cannot walk without my legs feeling like lead. I began to get terrible pain in my outer right leg which was eased by increasing my meds for cervical pain.

YES!! You can get problems with your legs through cervical spinal cord impingement, I know.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I have balance problems walking, bone on bone both knees, and three bulging neck disks.  Pain radiating from neck to fingers both sides.  I had a steroid injection last week into the neck (which didn't hurt much at all).

My gait is better and so is my balance and pain has diminished quite a bit.  Please look into that option if you are interested.

Maureen

• Posted

Mike when i went to the neurosurgeon because now my upper two levels are compressed & he wants to do a 5 level fusion (I already had a 3 level with poor outcomes) I kept telling him about my legs and he said I don't want to hear anything about your legs only neck up. I never went back going to go to UCSF when I get all my tests done! 

• Posted

Hi

i too have this and bilateral foromoral stenosis . I'm struggling with bilateral shoulder pain and impringement also affecting my thoracic and mid back with horrendous rib cage pain when lying down to sleep.

Im seeing a surgeon in June(earliest appointment) but have a strange feeling nothing is going to happen! It's horrible, I have to use an electric wheelchair as can't manage a manual one or electric scooter due to pressure on my shoulders. I also have lumber stenosis but lately my gait has altered and I can only stand up for short periods without my back hurting and my legs feeling like jelly.

• Posted

Hi wall1309,

What pain management are you on. Anyone suffering pain over a long period needs help from their gp/pain clinic to get it sorted, otherwise depression may well appear. I know it does not solve the problem of the pain but it does mean you feel more able to cope.

Mike.

• Posted

All iv been offered is paracetamol and a tens machine !!!! 
  • Posted

Hi Maria134,

If you are suffering pain, deep unbearable penetrative pain, causing loss of sleep and disturbed rest then you should seek help.

No one need suffer without some sort of pain relief, see your GP and explain fully your condition.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi All,

Saw my neurosurgeon for 12 monthly check up. He asked me how I was getting on. I told him about my problems with both legs, and about increasing my meds because of recent agonising pain in right hip, as well as both legs are very heavy feeling and I am unable to walk very far.

He looked straight at me, You do know I am here regarding your neck, nothing else.

Why have these people got such low regard for us.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.