I'm fading away

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't know how to describe how and what I feel. It's sort of weakness and fatigue. It's not real tiredness. I wish it was cause then I could drink coffee, some physical activity or something. But no matter what I do it's always there. I know it's related to my sleep but the thing is I am falling asleep. Waking up in the middle of the night and falls asleep again just to wake up to an awful feeling and to not being myself the entire day. I suffered from sleep problems for the last 2 years. Mostly insomnia, waking up after 4 hours and not being able to fall asleep again. But that one is worse. I also have the urge to stretch my legs so I thought maybe it's Restless legs syndrome but I'm not sure. I live now in Belgium and the doctors here are very not open minded so I know it's a waste of time going. Especially when I don't know how to explain myself. I just had a newborn baby 6 days ago and instead of being pumped for real I'm mainly pretending I am and actually dying inside.

So my symptoms are:

Weakness all over

Light-headedness

Urge to move my limbs

Hope someone can relate

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I live in Belgium too and I know doctors here aren't heavily into sleep-related problems (except my lovely GP). And they're not much better in the UK. But I still don't think it's a waste of time going. At least we have the advantage of not having to stick to one doctor allocated by the Nanny State, like in the UK, so you can shop around till you find one you get on with.

Whatever the problem is, being a new mother isn't going to help it at all. I suspect most other new mums are only pretending to feel "pumped" just like you. Pregnancy takes a lot out of you, and dealing with a newborn baby is exhausting.

Have you contacted the Brussels Childbirth Trust - 02-215.3377? They're in Wezembeek-Oppem. You don't say where you live but Belgium is such a tiny country, most places aren't far from anywhere else, are they? And in any case, the BCT could advise you on contacts in your own area. They're an English-speaking organisation.

I realise this isn't a problem that's only just started, but I really think you should address the childbirth issue, as I'm sure this is adding considerably to your burden.

You don't say whether you've had a diagnosis or what the doctors have said about this over the past two years. For example, did anything in your life change two years ago? Did you have any kind of virus around that time? There could be many causes for the way you're feeling.

If you're in the Brussels area, the Helpline of the CHS can help you find an English-speaking doctor if that's the problem. They can be reached on 02-648.4014. They're not always fully manned, so you may have to try a few times, but they theoretically operate 24/7. However, I must admit their database is very Brussels-centred. If you live in Flanders you shouldn't have much of a problem anyway, as most professionals will speak good English. Wallonia is more of a problem, I know.

Please don't give up hope of finding help for your distressing condition. There's plenty of help out there if you know how to look for it. Start with the BCT. (They're only open in office hours by the way.) If you want to, you can send me a private message via this site too. Just click on the little envelope icon under my avatar. I don't like sharing too much specific information about my location on an open board.

• Posted

Sorry, my last post was a bit sketchy on the subject of the CHS. That stands for Community Health Service. They're another English-language service. Their Helpline is also exclusively English-speaking. As well as giving practical information to English-speaking expats, it also acts as a crisis line (like the Samaritans) where you can talk to trained volunteers on a completely anonymous basis. But you don't have to be in crisis to call them - you can just ring up if you feel like talking to someone about your problems in English.

• Posted

Oh dear, the gremlins have got in today - into my brain, that is!rolleyes

It's the Community Help Service - not Health as I said above.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.