SVT AND EXERCISE

Posted , 6 users are following.

i want to start working out but im scared i might trigger an svt attack are there any suggestions on how to start. Please advise

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your concerns are normal.  Hopefully, you have some good medical support, and you can seek advice.  If so, and if you have no other health issues, I predict with confidence that you'll be encouraged to exercise.  Doing well with your workouts could then be quite a confidence builder.  Best of luck to you, and please give us a report.

• Posted

hey there....Ive had svt now for 4 years and I have never had an attack due to exercise....I get 2 to 3 attacks a year triggered by anxiety combined with positional changes. i.e. I am talking on the phone about something that makes me very anxious and I stand up and walk around. all of a sudden I get an attack...in the beginning I had no clue how to stop it but now I just squat down or lie down and it stops again within minutes. Positional changes are a good way to fix it as other maneuvers dont work for me.

As far as my cardiologist has told me exercise is encouraged and important.

what helped me in the beginning was that I bought a garmin watch with a heart rate monitor. i was scared like I am sure you are, so I wore the watch and went for a light run. I then pushed more and more after a few weeks by running faster and driving up my heartrate to 180bpm until I realized that exercise doesnt cause svt....it is more complex than that I guess for most people. I wish you well! Dont be scared you are not alone!

• Posted

Thanks so much for ur reply
    • Posted

ur welcome....let me know how you get on
  • Posted

on my notes I saw SVT but I am not sure what the symptoms are could someone tell me.... thanks,.  I have recently had a stent fitted due to angina 
  • Posted

Every SVT diagnosed is different, but it's always good to get advice and hear different experiences of SVT, if you have the go ahead from your cardiologist to exercise then 100% go for it,I know how you feel, it's more so the fear of getting an attack that prevents you from exercising, take it easy when you start off but trust me once you start and learn more about your on comes of SVT it's so much easier to exercise, my advice is to look up Alivecor and download the app Kardia, it's a device that gives a quick 30 second ekg, what it has done for me is it has given me a peace of mind, it's never going to be easy with SVT bit it's about getting that start, go for a fast walk slow jog tomorrow and you'll feel great, try find what triggers it while exerciseing and try not to do that, controll your breathing also, learn about your own SVT and then try to control it, I know exactly how you feel I was asking the exact same questions last year, just don't be afraid of it and get too know your own SVT. Best of luck and hope all goes well with you

• Posted

Thanks for ur comment. My cardologist advise me to get some exercise in.
  • Posted

I have SVT and generally have no problems with exercise. In fact, I think it really helps me mentally. My GP encouraged me to keep exercising. I have just recently started a low dose beta blocker which I thought might slow me down, but I still managed a run ok.

Probably best to just check with your GP or cardiologist, but I would think you would be encouraged to get active!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.