Think all my teeth are beyond help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'll start by saying that I'm TERRIFIED of the dentist! I suffer with anxiety too... my bottom front teeth have very receding gums and tonight, whilst eating a chewy chocolate bar-a piece of the tooth nearest the gum, has come away. I'm devastated. 4 of my back teeth have all pretty much crumbled away too. This got worse and worse with every one of my 3 pregnancies. Nobody knows about this shameful secret I carry. Not even my husband! I'm so ashamed. I can't afford to go to a dentist now, and god knows how much all the work I'd need will cost?! I'm in the U.K.

I'm only 35 and to look at me, you wouldn't suspect a thing. How can I sort this?! I'm so scared. This is one of my many fears!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scaredy, I don't live in the UK and don't know a lot about the NHS these days, though I worked in it for 10 years in the 60s and 70s. Here in Belgium, a few of the major hospitals have special programmes for people with a compulsive fear of the dentist. I've no idea whether this kind of thing exists in the UK, but it might be worth looking into it. You could try calling the major teaching hospitals in your area, as well as asking your doctor and dentist. I think you'd need a referral from a dentist or GP to go to one of these clinics. I see there's a UK-based website for dental phobia too, though I haven't researched it.

You really do need to do something about your teeth now, as poor dental health can affect your general health.

And congratulations on taking the first step to dealing with your fear. It's not "shameful" at all. We're all scared of something. I'm fine at the dentist's but am really not looking forward to the time when my cataracts mature and have to be operated on!

• Posted

I NEED to make an appointment asap! I think what I'm most scared of is being left with gaps/missing teeth, while waiting for replacements. Also the actual procedures scare the hell out of me! I'm in a right mess arent I!

Thanks so much for your reply

• Posted

Yes, you do.

I understand your worry about walking around with a missing tooth. I lost one of my front teeth in an accident 60 years ago, and have always felt very anxious on the few occasions I've had to be without my denture for one reason or another. But then again, if you don't start addressing this problem asap, you're going to be left with even more missing teeth, aren't you?neutral

• Posted

True. Weirdly, if i was to lose teeth due to an accident, it wouldn't be so bad! If, god forbid, I do find myself in this situation, that's the excuse I'll be giving. That one of the kids head butted me and knocked it out! I'm so awful sad

• Posted

No, you're not awful - just scared.

My old Mum went to the dentist for the first time when she was 89 years old! (We seem to have strong teeth in our family.) I only made her go then because she told me several months after it happened that she'd broken a tooth and it was hurting her tongue. When I had a look, I found all that was left of one of her lower molars was a jagged spike that had rubbed a massive hole in her tongue. I nearly had a fit, especially as she'd been a heavy smoker for 75 years. I managed to get her to a dentist, but we had a huge job getting her to cooperate while the dentist filed down the spike, as she was already well advanced in dementia by that time, bless her. I didn't let the dentist attempt anything else as I suspected she wouldn't last much longer and I didn't want to distress her too much, just make her more comfortable. I was right. She died six months later.

So... better to get into the habit of going to the dentist now, while you're still young, rather than face that kind of nightmare (for you and your kids) when you're old!

• Posted

Ah god love her!

You're right though, I'm so scared!! I'm looking up NHS dentists now...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.