Metal Taste in my mouth

Posted , 6 users are following.

OK in Dec I had all my teeth removed, it is now the beginning of February I am just about to be getting my dentures, but I have been getting a really strange and strong metallic taste in my mouth. I can't be pregnant I have had hysterectomy. So it's not that does any one have any ideas as this is all very new, and very scary to me, I will add I had them removed due my medication being so strong it eat away at my teeth. I am only 33 years old..

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

It can be from many things, typically a Dr will look for digestive issues first if your mouth is ok, reflux for example is a big cause along with post nasal drip
    • Posted

I am on omeprazole 20mg gastro-resistant capsules I take one twice a day. . For reflux it does work since I have been on it I have had no problems.
    • Posted

It could be the meds then, or still related to the reflux. You don't always need to feel the burn to be being affected by reflux sadly

• Posted

I don't think so, as I wasn't getting it before I had my teeth removed and I have been on this medicine for over three years and I have been good..

I have only just been having the trouble with the metallic taste, and yellow film on my tongue. Since my teeth were all removed in December.

• Posted

Rosie, it's not thrush is it? I got that once after an intensive course of treatment by my dentist. When I went back to him he was adamant it wasn't that, and wouldn't prescribe any treatment. I then went to my GP, who said it was clearly thrush and prescribed a long course of tablets, which worked. She said some dentists have less than ideal hygiene practice, patients do sometimes get thrush, but dentists won't admit it!

I'm not saying it's definitely that, but why not check it out with your GP?

• Posted

No I have had that before, I have had antibiotics since I had my surgery to have my teeth removed, I had them removed under general anasetic, as I was having 33 teeth removed I ended up having 99stitches in total in my mouth it was very painful. The hospital tried to cancel my op on the day, as I was down for day surgery, they through I was going to need intensive care after surgery as I need so many teeth removed. I lost around two pints of blood. But I still came home the same day.
    • Posted

You had thirty-three teeth removed? My goodness, most of us only have a maximum of 32, including wisdom teeth! You've really had a bad time, haven't you?

You say you've been on antibiotics since your surgery. You do know, don't you, that antibiotics cause thrush by killing off the "good" bacteria in your body as well as the bad ones?

It sounds to me as if you must have had a really serious problem at the outset to have had to have all your teeth removed in one go. I think you need to go to your doctor and get thoroughly checked out.

• Posted

No I had a bad oral disease and I take very strong opiates. Due to spinal deritive disease and I had a spinal surgery that went seriously wrong!!!. So I am now wheelchair bond!!!
    • Posted

It's OK I have got used to it, I have been like it!!! Since I was 16,u have four kids and one step daughter with my husband, sadly I can't have any more kids. Which was the most upsetting to me!!!

• Posted

I'm 54 and had my teeth removed in October. Hopefully I'll get dentures by march. I'm having the lower set screwed in. Ive had a funny taste as well. I also take strong medications. Ive developed a need for sweet stuff to mask it. Of course this is not a good thing because dentures and gums deteriorate with sugar. Not Su,re what else to do. I'm trying breaking the cycle bY brushing my mouth with mouthwash and non abrasive tooth gel.

• Posted

I have been doing this to, I can't have implants as my jaw bone is to weak, from wear I have broken jaw. I am having I hop up from NHS dentures my dentist is kindly offered to help with the cost for free. Due to my circumstances and age and not being given the right information about my medication and how to make sure that my teeth didn't get damaged due to the medication I am on.

• Posted

They are going to test my implants at the end of this month. I hope my jaw is strong enough. I had a general too. My teeth rotted because of dry mouth from my medication. Please make sure you have enough saliva. Lately I've been having dreams that I have a wine gum in my mouth that won't dissolve. I'm waking up feeling like my gums are swollen and sticking out of my mouth. The whole business of my teeth being removed has got to be the worst thing I've ever gone through and I've gone through ALOT.

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

Not sure if this is the problem but my husband had a filling done Sept. 2014 with a shot of novacaine (or what ever they use). The next day he noticed that he had lost his sense of taste and everything tasted metallic. He has been to no less than 10 drs. (dentist, general praticioners, neurologists, audiologists due to tinnitus as well, and a smell and taste cilinic) He has not lost his sense of smell but the Drs. are stumped. We did some research on out own and discovered that the dentist probably, inadvertantly, hit the Chorda Timpani which runs from the inner ear down to the jaw and controls your sense of taste. It has become progressivly worse over the past 2 1/2 yrs. He is very frustrated and depressed since he is Italian and loves to cook and eat. The Drs. are pretty usless.

• Posted

I did not have a local anicatic. I had a general I was under for

Four and a half hours cuz they had problems with me

• Posted

i really feel bad for your husband. I would be looking for compensation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.