Alcohol Consumption

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please forgive me if this has been asked a million times before, but this website isnt layered out properly (Im telling you website organisers, its not done right, because nearly every click links to an article rater than an actual forum discussion, and its quite hard to actually navigate the forum!)

Now to my actual topic. I have been drinking every day nearly 9yrs on the trot, I hear all the time about people trying to quit they get the shakes etc etc, I've been to rehab centers, they havent worked obviously because im still on the alcohol, but they are always suprised how I never have the shakes after 3 days of not drinking yet I consume every night for the last 9 yrs at least 18 units (uk size) of alcohol. I get the anxiety feeling "i need alcohol" sure but I never "shake" why is this and why is everyone shocked I never get it? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am also able to get to work by 5am every day without problems.
    • Posted

after 18 units and getting to work next day are you then driving I am wondering.....I myself was often close to the limit and had to stop early evening drinking...just wondering. Robin
    • Posted

Very good point Robin. If you remember I got caught drink driving at 9.30 am after taking my kids to school. I would never ever have driven had I known that I was still over the limit from a party hours before
    • Posted

Yes I'm often drinking till 10/11pm then getting up at 4am to drive, I'm well aware I'm over. Still am sometimes on the drive home at 9am. I've puked on the side of the Motorway a few times on my way home, the nauseous hangover feelings.

• Posted

oops...what if you have an accident and what if others are involved???? time to re think....Robin
  • Posted

No, everyone is different. I can (and have) got up in front of 250 people and made a speech and I mean at a business venue, not a wedding.

I think 99% of the population would run a mile if they had to stand up on stage and give a speech like that. Horses for courses.

• Posted

sorry for the triple post but I heard rumous that after years of drinking thinner blood caused by alcohol, the heart would have a problem pumping it when it got thicker from not drinking alcohol, is this true? a year ago a doctor said my heart was normal and strong, that gave me a slight relief, as I smoke and drink... but everytime I feel a twigne in the heart department I fear for my life, my dad died of a heart attack, I often feel twinges in the area and cannot tell if minor heartburn (used to get bad heartburn for years) or my heart.

@RHGB this relates how to what I have? of course EVERYONE has nerves at a wedding lol.

• Posted

I said NOT at a wedding, a business venue, i.e. work related. It is pointing out that we're all different and react in different ways. Both our body and our mind.

After years of drinking and then perhaps liver damage, the liver becomes unable to produce the proteins that help clot the bood. They are referred to as platelets and mean the blood won't coagulate the same. It doesn't really thicken up if you stop drinking.

More likely, after years of heavy drinking, you will have heart damage, such as 'congestive heart failure'. Look it up.

• Posted

RHGB was pointing out how we are all different. It relates to you as it's an example of differences. Some people get the shakes and some don't. Just as I couldn't possibly stand and do a presentation to 250 business people. University presentation I just about managed. A wedding speech is far more lighthearted and a different situation.

did you not have any medication whilst in rehab? If you had been given benzos then perhaps that's why you didn't shake

I would get withdrawals after stopping an alcohol binge. I had anxiety, insomnia, couldn't eat but never got the shakes

• Posted

No medication, their answer was to continue drinking but in a reduced form over time.
    • Posted

Hello sorry I read it wrong. Thought you did but anyway never mind, I can see what you wrote now, sorry.

I will look that up, I had a liver test done 2yrs ago, said it was inflammed and was 100% repairable at that point, but that was 2yrs ago as I said, havent had a recent test.

• Posted

Hello crazy. I'm the same. Can drink a bottle of vodka a night for two weeks up till a point where I am so physically sick I have to stop. Lay in bed for a day but never get typical withdrawal even though I drink everyday at least 9 units. It's more psychological with me. Agoraphobia, paranoia and panic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.