Which type of headache do I have? don't seem to fit one or the other and doctors don't know

Posted , 3 users are following.

Fun never stops, more health problems. Thanks for reading i'll keep this breif Not looking for a cure, just trying to figure out which type of headache I have to push for a Nero or a ENT / get the right treatment. 

Had symptoms with no relief now for 8 weeks as follows: 

24/7: 

Pressure in the front of my head both sides above eye brow, worse when i bend down and touching it hurts, not like a headache with a sharp pain 

Pressure behind eyes (like they are coming out of my head!) 

Sore Neck (cracks now, more recent symptom) 

Sound Sensitivity <-- worst one. My headache is NOT worse or better with sound, it's that things are actually much LOUDER and my ears crackle. 

Light Sensitivity - Looking at a bulb blinds me for a second but doesn't change the headache

Lathargic / No concentration (probably because my headache is sucking the life out of me) 

Sometimes: 

Dizzy 

Sweating

No Energy 

No Appetite 

Been in regular contact with the GP and going again soon.

Meds tried: Naproxen with Ibuprofen, Topamax, Paracetamol, Co codamol, Clonazepam... no relief what so ever. 10 day Antibiotic Amoxicillin many weeks ago which I am gonna ask to try again. Last 6 days Beta Blockers, mild help on the pain but no help with the pressure which is getting worse. 

Glad of any replies! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi CRK, God I am so sorry you are suffering so. I have a migraine 24/7 so I can empathize with you somewhat. I am waiting for the shrink to tell the insurance company, I am a good candidate for the pain pump. My pain management Dr is ready to put it in its just a matter of payment. I have had this same migraine since 4/2010 If possible, I suggest you see someone that can have your spinal fluid level checked. I had to have a spinal tap done once and unfortunately was not given proper postop directions and the puncture did not heal properly. I leaked spinal fluid four months. I thought that I would die or at least I wanted to. Pressure in my forehead temples and especially behind my eyes was almost more than I could take. I don't know if there's a way to leak spinal fluid without having a puncture but your symptoms all seem to match the ones I suffered from. It was also determined that I have one tonsil (not the ones in your throat but the ones at the base of your skull) is slightly lower than the other which can effect spinal fluid flow. Good luck to you, God bless, I'll pray for you!

• Posted

Hello CRK,

I will probably reply again in a few days as I am researching what my own headache could be and might come across something relevant to you but I wanted to check a few things as they I have come across them and they need urgent treatment :

1) does the doctor know that the headache worsens upon bending? (This is known as orthostatic headache I believe and means a headache that changes with posture change, it is considered a medical emergency)

2) Do you have normal blood pressure?

3) Are all of your neurological signs normal? Any signs of increased ICP?

I hope that I can help

thanks

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies it's much appreciated, my headache is worse when i bend forward. After a good talk with a different doctor yesterday he said it's my sinisus in the front and it's a virus apparently. He gave me a steroid nose spray and the generic sodafed which made my hypomanic even though I told the doctor this, he did not seem to know any alternatives.

DON'T TAKE SODAFED IF YOU HAVE BIPOLAR (incase someone reads this in the future).

Doctor told me it's going to be 2-3 months to clear... hope he is right, longer without sodafed (grr). This doctor doesn't seem concerned (when do they ever). But he turned down the idea of ENT and MRI for now... i'll update if and when this changes. Wrote this because after a few visits they did not have any ideas, glad to have a diagnoises. 

Hope you get to the bottom of yours Hamneggy i really do. 

ReeceB - 1. Yes - This is why the doctor said this was the defining thing that made it sinus related according to him 

2. Yes had blood pressure checked he said it was OK. (didn't get to see it) 

3. Unsure to be honest. Going through a few things that could play a factor. sorry I can't really anwser, the pressure defiently is less after just 3 sodafeds actually so the doctor is probably right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.