Lower Left Occipital Stroke-help

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother had a hemorrhagic stroke in her lower occipital region 21 days ago. This is her second hemorrhagic stroke in2 &1/2 years. We have been discharged from the hospital and rehab center. Now I'm the nurse 😳. Things do not seem to be improving. She is suffering and I don't know how to help. She recently just broke out in a hive like rash on her legs and arms. Her complaints are her vision is blurry, dizziness, she is very tired (says her body feels as if a weight was on it), and today she woke up with roaring in her ears...

Here is the medicine the doctors put her on and why:

1. They put her on lisinipril (for her high blood pressure) her heart function is at 45%

Toporal (stopped taking this 2 days ago based on her blood pressure dropping very low & complaints on dizziness & lethargy)

Oxcarbazepine for the risk of potential seizures- the neurologist called and said she can stop taking that as well (1 day ago because she was still feeling heavy , dizzy & blurred vision)

Any hope or insight on what might be happening or how long until she feels better will be helpful. Also, any suggestions on what might be causing a that bleeds will be helpful as well. The doctors mentioned amyloid angiopothy or possibly an AVM but there is no way to confirm amyloid. She does have spikes in her blood sugar (she loves sweets) & has had hypertension (until recently now she has 120/60 with 74 heart rate)

Anyways, I'm grateful for this discussion board and any help someone might have

Sincerely,

Heartbroken daughter

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

Although I don't know much about the type of stroke your .Mother has experienced, I had a subaerchnoid haemorrhage and found once you no longer receive the help you still desperately are needing , I spent hours on Google searching out the subject and different books that I have managed to learn a lot more, it is worth a try.

.There were no message boards like this when I had my SAH but google really helped. Sorry I. Can't give you any more practical advise , I hope you you can find advice. I wish you and your Mother well.

• Posted

I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage to the left occipital area of the brain too - 10 years ago aged 45. I have made a good recovery but I'm left with chronic fatigue, slight dizziness and acutely sensitive hearing. I remember in the early days sight was an issue, but overtime this sorted out. "The roaring in her ears" - is connected to the area of the brain that has been affected. I had something similar - again in the very early days - a muffled deafness as though my head was under water. 

I would recommend your mother takes everything very slowly and gently. She has been to hell and back with just the haemorrhage. It will take the first year getting to grips with daily tasks of bathing, dressing, exercise, etc. In my first year I found walking outdoors really helpful in 'waking up', if she feels very sleepy. Coax her gently to take daily walks (even get a dog, like I did). Whatever you do, do not rush or pressure her over anything as this will have a negative effect. Allow her to heal at her pace. I say this as my family expected me to be 'all healed' once I left the hospital. My life has never been the same since my stroke, but we make the most of what life has given us back. It was a miracle to survive.

If you need advice and support on any aspect of a brain injury, there is no better organisation than; Brain and Spine Foundation helpline (manned by Neuro Nurses) or for general chat - behindthegray.net (an English website dedicated to people who've had subarachnoid haemorrhages). Encourage your mother to start re-building her confidence again by being a little more independant and adventurous if possible. This illness is a massive ordeal and will have affected every single aspect to her life. She and you will need mountains of patience, love and support. She will get there...and so will you. Stay positive!! 

• Posted

I'm grateful to you! Thank you so very much for your thoughtful & kind response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.