Coffee and Chronic pancreatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Allthough I may partially already know the answer to this one I still want to ask and clarify some of the point relating to this. Some say they can tolerate all the coffee they want with chronic pancreatitis and others say they cant even have a drop of it.

I want to see if there is a corrolation of how your pancreatitis (type) is and whether it can be tolerated or not.

I have 24/7 pain everyday with no break since i developped the condition. When I try and have coffee (which i use to love and was hard for me to quit) I get excrutiatiing burning pain and pressure in my chest.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences the same or not and if they are Type A (episodic pain when they eat but attacks subside) or type B (constant 24/7 pain worst when they eat)

Thanks for your feedbackAlex

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When recovering from my first acute attack (Nov 2015) I cut out all caffeine and alcohol, as well as maintaining a very low fat diet.  After about 3 months, I was virtually pain free.  After six months I started adding back regular coffee, and a glass of wine per week.  I figured my pancreas had gotten back to normal.  Well, I seem to be emerging (it's 3 weeks so far) from a flare up, but have been in constant pain during this "episode"   Having dropped all caffeine and alcohol, as well as taking prilosec for 2 weeks, the heart burn and gas have eased up and the pain is considerably less (but still alway present albeit slight).  It is the worst at night, when obviously, I'm NOT eating.  I use a heat pad on my stomach and back.  I also use salon pas patches on my back if it gets really bad.  I haven't really related the pain to "when I eat" - rather is may be a result of what I've eaten, if I've picked the wrong thing.   Next week I see a GI as a follow up.  I was hoping this wouldn't turn into CP, but fear it may be.  24/7 pain and discomfort is very frustrating.

• Posted

Hi diane,

Im sorry to hear that you are turning chronic. I hope you are not and wish you the best. My best advise is once youve had an acute attack ,whether it was due to alcohol or not, NEVER EVER EVER drink again for the rest of your life. Other tips I can give you from my experience is try to eat low to no fat and vegan this will lower the inflammation in your body and pancreas if you are not chronic yet and if you are this becomes a must. absolutely no oil and no fat. 

Do not constitute this a substitute for medical advice as I am not a doctor. I am simply sharing what has helped me and others. 

I really hope you feel better soon

Regards 

Alex

• Posted

Hi Alex, i have been drinking KAVA ireduced acid instant coffee. It has less acid and seems to work for me.  I have chronic pancreatitis and by the way take Creon. Hope it helps! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.