Eye pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have TN. Always have sharp pain. On gabapentin. My eye has started hurting and seems to get worse when using iPhone, computer or reading. Anyone else experience this or do I need to see eye doctor?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joanne, I did not have eye pain but I could not use my cell phone and the computer as well. Seeing that I work on the computer I had get a glare screen, wear a mask and keep the side of my face that had the pain turned away from the computer. This was when I was first diagnosed though. How long have you had tn?
    • Posted

I needed a mask because everything caused me pain. A breeze, a tear rolling down my face, the computer and my cell phone.
    • Posted

So sorry you are going through so much. I do hope you can feel better soon. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Pam. I was just diagnosed June 15, 2016. Total shock to me. Was brushing my teeth and had excruciating pain shoot from nose across eye. Doc started me on carbamazepine but it made me a zombie. I was comatose seriously. We adjusted mg and still could not function. Saw neurologist and he changed to gabapentin. I was on 900 and 2 weeks ago had to go to 1200.
  • Posted

Hi,i am pretty sure i read it can caus eye pain,but im no doctor,probably best to see an optomotrist.
    • Posted

Thanks Lee. How long have you had it? And where is your pain?
  • Posted

Hi Joanne

I have stabbing or pinprick pain in my right eye and this is worse when I try to do any close work; which is a problem as my job involves 8 hours a day in a computer!

I have seen the optician 3 times since October and my prescription has changed each time. I am currently trying contact lenses (as it hurts to put my glasses on).

I would mention this to your GP and see what they say. The optician did say that the changes where possibly due to the condition.

Take care

Alison

• Posted

Thanks Alison. That's exactly what I'm feeling. It is my right side also affected by TN. From bottom of nose to above eyebrow and my upper jaw. Where is yours and what are you taking?

• Posted

Yes, see eye doctor or your general practitioner anyway. Often the stress of talking clearly during important conversations does cause flare ups of pain. My eye-surround is a trigger point for me anyway. I had to pack up a Skype session at work because the stress of speaking slowly and clearly was too much and my eye/lip became very painful. Also I couldn't "mouth" the words very well and so sounded like I was drunk.

You need to clarify your symptoms so please do see a medic. Are you only on that drug? Not on carbamazepine (Tegretol)?

Good luck

Big D

• Posted

Thanks Army...........I am calling my opthmatogist today for appt. I had cateract surgery March 31 and April 7 last year. Was diagnoised June 15 with TN. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with it?

• Posted

Also Army............I am only on Gabapentin. I was on 900mg and went up to 1200mg two weeks ago. GP put me on Carbamezapime when first diag and I could not take it. I was totally comatose. Could not put one foot in front of the other. I have low tolerance for medications.
  • Posted

I also experience pain in my my left eye when reading and watching tv for nearly as long as my TGN. I am not sure pain is related to the TGN, but I have been to several eye doctors with no solution.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm unlucky enough to have TN bilaterally and in all three branches of the nerves, this was confirmed by a Neurologist recently. The very worst of the pain is in my left eye and over the eyebrow of the right eye. Frankly nothing compares with this pain. I really struggle to find a solution. Heat helps as does as many prescribed drugs as are available!!! But this reduces rather than gets rid of it. When this flares up I'm incapacitated and confined to the sofa with cycles of pain lasting for as long as 20 hours. It is literally hundreds of attacks one after another with no respite. I can appreciate why it is called the suicide pain. Speak to your doctor and try whatever he suggests and what you think may help, even if it is seemingly silly.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.