Blood test sugar level 14.4

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

i'm here for my brother who has just been for his bloods result and was shocked to find his sugar level has shot up to 14.5. He was just advised to control what he's eating. I am truly worried as he's flying to UK early in the morning and Ni time for doc. appointment here. Is thus level serious, life threatening? No medication has been prescribed. Can anyone help please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if this is serious or not  but I don't think it is actually life threatening. . Normal level is between 5 and 8 I think.

Has he got insurance if he is ill abroad?

I know people who are diabetic and have no tablets or insulin, just control it with diet so I would not worry too much.

I have diabetes and am on metformin tablets.

Hope he is OK.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you sarah87162. He is a UK pensioner so it's no problem as regards to insurance. I am more concerned that he's having no medication to control these  levels, as to me it sounds very high. Concerned about long-term damage or coma or whatever.

• Posted

I think coma occurs when blood sugar is low not high.

May be worth seeing a doctor in UK.

Sarah

• Posted

If blood sugar levels are very high they can cause a coma, the levels are I believe about 30 and symptoms come on slowly rather than low sugar levels which can happen quite quickly.   When I was diagnosed my levels were 22 and they wanted to put me straight onto insulin but I wasn't keen and was on tablets for eight years before going onto injections. I get high sugar levels even with insulin, depending on what I've eaten but it's easier to control it on insulin. My son was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago and his sugar level was 19 and he was just told to lose weight which he has done but still needs to lose more but they have told him that there is no need for medication, although he's on blood pressure tablets.   

• Posted

I have found that cutting back on all carbohydrates and eating Low GI (low glycemic index- that means the rate at which your body can access the sugars in your diet - wholemeal best etc) also cut out as much sugar as you can.  All other foods are not restricted.  I have just found coconut flour which is used instead of flour - brilliant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.