High Blood Pressure?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 29 year old male.  Slightly overweight.

Several months ago, from nowhere I felt a sudden and quick sharp pain run up my leg.  I thought nothing of it and went to bed.  The next morning I felt dizzy and my balance was very poor.  My arms and legs also felt very heavy.

I went to the hospital and they performed an MRI Scan on my brain. Everything came back clear.  I was given some medication to help with the dizziness and my balance.  My blood pressure was checked and it was very high. (175/100)

By now the dizziness, poor balance and heavy feeling in my limbs had gone.  But the blood pressure remained high.  I now had a general malaise in my chest area, a feeling of heartburn/constant indigestion and the occassional moment where it felt like I had 'lost my breath'.

I had further tests...

An ultrasound on my leg.  Everything came back clear.

Lung function test.  Everything came back clear.

Blood test.  Everything came back clear.

Chest X-ray.  Everything came back clear.

The blood pressure continued to remain high so I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Hypertension.  I had done a 24 hour Blood Pressure check and my average daytime figure was somewhere around 145/95.  I was told this was high 'but not that high' so I was prescribed some medication. (Diovan)

My father does have high blood pressure, but the onset of my symptoms seemed so sudden.  I am relatively active (I walk a lot) and my diet isn't what I would say terrible. (I don't smoke and I rarely drink)

I have been taking the diovan for several weeks and there has been little improvement.  Some days I am completely symptom-free, but my blood pressure is still high. Other days, I have all of the symptoms.

It's worth pointing out I am currently living abroad.  I haven't got on particularly well with the healthcare in this unnamed country. (e.g- being prescribed medication without any discussion of my diet/lifestyle) 

I will see a doctor when I return home next month, but I feel like there is more to this than me just simply having high blood pressure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

e41404...Hi Buddy...Forgive me, but I have a problem with a few things you've experienced. I am not a medical doctor, but know a lot about how things are done when it comes to situations such as this.

First of all, I'm surprised an MRI was done on the brain. The central nervous system is located in the SPINE., where the nerves are, & it's the nerves that send messages, etc. A person may think they've got a problem in the legs, when after investigation, it turns out the problem is not in the legs, but a nerve somewhere in the spine is impinged or irritation. It's not surprising your bp was high when you sought medical attention..you very likely were stressed at wondering what may be wrong with you.

You were told your bp at 145/95 was high, but not that high..then you were prescribed Diovan!!!!!!!! Why wasn't it suggested to you to do some lifestyle changes, i.e. watch your salt intake, get some exercise, lose some weight (if needed) then if the numbers weren't down, they'd consider medication. I now apologise..after reading your statment over again, I see you were not coached on life style/diet. This is so wrong. By all means when you return home see your doctor...pronto!! 

• Posted

Sorry Mike, but the central nervous system is in both the brain and the spinal cord, and also includes the peripheral motor and sensory nerves! (Former neuro nurse.)

I would agree with you that the sudden pain in the leg sounds more like a lower motor neurone problem - i.e. one arising after the nerves have left the spinal cord - if it was indeed neurological in origin. I would imagine, though, that the doctors at the hospital were more concerned that it might have been a deep vein thrombosis, with part of the clot having moved to the brain. This could have been borne out by the general symptoms, but clearly wasn't the case, given the investigation results.

• Posted

lily65668...I agree with you, HOWEVER there are things that I've mentioned that go on in the lumbar spine which can affect the legs. I know a young lad who was having muscle spasms in his legs..they got worse & worse 'til finally the legs gave out on him. They took him to hospital, where an MRI of the spine was done, & what did they find...MASSIVE growths that were edging on the nerves. One growth was very large, while the other was smaller. He needed surgery to the point where it had to be split..because it was too much on the patient, & too much on the surgeon. Last year..up 'til April I saw a neurologist..who did MRI's on the lumbar & cervial spine. There is severe to moderate neural foraminal narrowing at L5-S1..very likely the cause of my skin burning sensation on the legs & feet. Sometimes I experience pins/needles. The Neurologist blames the L5-S1 thing on what's going on in my legs. Also, an MRI of the Cervial spine was done & I have degenerative issues going on there as well..yes, some moderate neural foraminal..which seems to affect my neck...sore as Hell, stiff at times, & I get headaches, but not severe. She said she could order an MRI of the brain, but felt it was over-kill because she strongly believed what was happening with me was caused by the lumbar & cervial spines. 

The young man I just told you about is still having problems. Now apparently, his leg is severely swollen, & they suspect some sort of growth there, but I will speak to people in the know to get the correct story. When he had the surgery (after his legs gave out) once he was recovering..he went through months upon months of therapy to learn to walk again., now he's dealing with yet another problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.