Vitamin D Deficiency and masking symptoms.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am not too sure this is the right forum but i've been suffering for years with a range of symptons including anxiety, heavy sweating, extreme fatigue mixed with insomina, headaches, nausea, slight gain in weight, intolerance to hot and to cold (it changes) Palpatations, numbness and pin and needle like feeling in my hands and feet, brain fogs and poor concentration, short term memory issues, breathlessness, coughing/choking fits mood swings and muscel weakness, Excessive Thirst and Urnination. 

I've been tested for thyorid issues a and they are within the normal ranges thyroid antiboides are presnet in my blood but not at a normal level  though i've sort of run out of patience with docotrs but finally have a referal to an endro though thats mainly down to the extreme thirst and not the other symptons. I've also been tested for diabeties which I dont have. 

I did a private thyroid test to find out the antibodies and found out that I was Vitamin D deficent and after another test to confirm it the doctor put me on 40,000 IU a day for 10 days then 20,000 once a week. When i first stated taking the vitamin D for the 10 days I felt a lot better in terms of the fatigue though most of hte other symptons remained. I did find that my anxiety levels skyrocketed however now that I am on the 20,000 once a week my fatigue alongside the brain fog is returning to how i felt prior to taking the Vitamin D. 

So after all that my question is is it likely that the Vitamin D deficency is a sympton of something else and that the high doses were giving my system a boost hence why I felt better rather than actually treating the deficency. I dont yet know my vitamin D level after the 10 days of the treatment as I am not back at the GP till the 1st of March but I just cant seem to understand why I would be returning to how I was after dropping the Vitamin D levels if my body was actually absorbing and storing it rather than just using it. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you have vitamin D deficiency you normally do not really see any results when taking supplements for at least three months. I would have thought it unlikely the vit D deficiency is a symptom of something else. They reckon twenty five per cent of the UK population have insufficient vitamin D. 
  • Posted

You probably also need to have your serum B12 and serum B9 (Folate) levels tested as the symptoms of a deficiency in these are similar to those of low Vitamin D.

The natural sources from food for both B12 and D are the same - red meats, fish, seafoods, eggs etc so is your diet lacking in these?

• Posted

My Folate was low and i am taking supplements for that but my B12 was within the normal range but at the bottom of the scale so i've started taking B12 daily, though apart from th fish/seafood my diet contains a fair amount of eggs, red meats and other food whic h contains either B12 or D. 

• Posted

You are doing the right thing Ross - take the B12 and B9 together.

I hope your quality of life improves

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.