Tietz

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi

im 54 and been having serious issues around my full rib cage in the morning so it's really painful to get up. My GP said it's the above ( not sure if it's spelt correctly. I have lumbar and cervical arthritis also both knees both shoulders and hands possibly hips( awaiting X-ray results)?

my question is could this also be arthritis of the rib cage as it hurts in the morning until say lunch time sometimes late afternoon then I'm fine.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Ive had  this long time it's misery mine got worse and more frequent over years  I have all symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis  but no radiographic evidence to show damage to the si joints ...only place Ive been scanned yet as presents differently in women. Chest and neck! Make you should look into this ....  By time I go to bed I feel like my ribs won't expand to breathe  no one takes pick notice. I don't even bother going to docs now..

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for replying. I seen a rheumatologist 5 years ago he actually thought I had anklosing spondylitis but MRI ruled it out. I'm seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who doesn't want to release my shoulders by surgery unless he gets a clean ruling it's not my neck causing it but unfortunately my neck has got serious issues so I'm going to be stuck. I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage in November last year so now seeing 2 lots of rehabilitation professionals as since 3 attempts of lumber puncture I can only bear to stand a couple of minutes if I lean forward it helps so nerve damage is suspected 

Im a bit of a mess unfortunately.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have other health problems.... ...  Takes lot years for damage to show  so don't totally rule it out I can't turn my neck much either  my sacroiliac joints are hell!   But I hate this chest thing most  it's so restricts you   I'm Luke other poster anything I use my arms for triggers chest off as does cold weather .. Do either of you have Achilles pain? 

• Posted

Good morning from Maine!!!  I'm 48yo female and I have arthristis in all the joints you mentioned and also have Tietze.  I've had spasms in my ribs for about 2 yrs, I have the swollen sternum and 4th to 12th ribs are also the same as my sternum, swollen.  I get the spasms when I reach, just folding clothes, anything that causes me to move my upper body.  And it hurts like HELL!!!  I went to a pain clinic to see if they could help.  They diagnosed me with intercostal neurlgia, basically a entrapped nerve.  They did a nerve block, 4 injections on one side, they can't do both side in case a lung collapses.  It work for 1 week to the day.  So because they can't do both sides I will always have the spasms so there wasn't any sense in continuing any farther with that.  I'm taking gabapitin for nerve pain and I have muscle relaxers which doesn't help at all.  There isn't any joints in your ribs, except at the sternum and the spine so you may want to mention this to your doctor.  Good luck and keep us updated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.