MEDICATION CONFUSION

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am in recent ongoing new agony with what is called - I believe - "nerve pain" in the groin and one thigh. I wake up pain free, walk a few yards and shooting pains start in those areas which stop me in my tracks. Yesterday I did a stupid thing and walked, initially pain-free, to town. I ended up in such agony in that upper leg I came back by taxi and couldn't kill the pain until 3am. That has convinced me walking at the moment serves no pont at all. I've an appointment booked at the muscular-skeletal clinic on March 1st.

Now to my medication confusion. Initially, last year, I was prescribed Lyrica 75mg. My GP said it works along nerve pathways. I had been walking in pain & with a limp and by a miracle all my pain went after taking this medication for just a short time. I stopped taking the medication

A month ago the old familiar shooting pains started again but much more severely so I started taking  the Lyrica 75mg again. This time they proved no help at all and I was given Lyrica 150mg. Again no relief from the terrible inner thigh/groin pain. I was then prescribed Naproxin which DID help but the pain came back so severely when i tried walking any distance so I returned to see a locum doctor who echoed what my own doctor said that in his opinion the pain was muscular and I'd injured that muscle. I knew I hadn't!! He gave me a prescription for 100mg of Gabapentin and he said that it was for nerve pain. It's had zilch effect so I'm back to taking Naproxin and looking for a mobility scooter! cry

My question is this. Is Lyrica the same as Gabapentin? And is Naproxin just for inflammation? I KNOW both doctors are totally wrong in their assumption that it's a pulled muscle. I badly need pain relief. I accept now I musn't walk any great distance if I am to keep the pain at bay but it's a long time until my hospital appointment and I need some advice on which of these meds to take. I don't understand why a small dose of Lyrica last year worked so well but this year twice that dose didn't touch the pain.

Thanks for any advice. (My MRI on lower back is on the other post of mine on here)

A month ago all the

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's great when meds work but I personally won't take any thing long term and always give my self breaks. As long term meds only mask the issue and also cause other issues with internal organs. Have you had a MRI to find out what's pinching the nerve s .good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear you're in pain.

I tried to look for post re MRI but couldn't see it.

Naproxen is for anti inflammatory and in my opinion ( not medical expert ) will not help you with this type of pain.

Are you taking lyrica and gaberpentin together?? They are from what I understand to be in the same family, and work the same way. Lyrica ( pregablin ) be very careful as this can make you put on weight.

So was your MRI clear or did it chow something.??

George ( uk )

• Posted

Lyrica is NOT the same a Gabapentin and the latter could add 20 pounds to your body in a month.  No pills work on me...and some of these have really bad side effects.  Naproxin (Aleve, etc.) is an NSAID (Nonsteroidal anti-Inflammatory drug) just like ibuprofen (Aleve, etc.).  Not a great mix with alcohol!!!  Not great stomach effects if taken for long periods of time.  Must be taken with food.

That said...  It's the words "shooting pain" that caught my attention.  One side?  Both sides?  One side could indicate sciatica that can be fixed by a chiropractor.  Had this done quite a few times.  BOTH sides is a different story.  This is spine related and has to be diagnosed by a neurosurgeon via MRI and CT/Myelogram.  Had this done too.  In fact, my current problem (shooting pain both sides lower back through glutes and down both legs) has been diagnosed as spinal foraminal stenosis...already fused L3-S1.  Surgery on March 24th.

• Posted

Hi only one thigh but the pain, when it builds up, is a full 10. I cannot lift that leg up to get out of a car. I start off the day with no pain, pain comes as soon as I start to walk. When I sit down it can be bad in my groin. It spreads to my buttock but I never ever get back pain or any pain that spreads down the BACK of my leg. Only pain I get is in right groin, right inner and right front of thigh and boy is it bad!!!!!
    • Posted

Your buttocks contain the "sciatic knot" and that could be the source of your pain.  Then again, it could be something else.  I'll send you a PM with the link...

• Posted

Sure sounds nueropathic, so could be a pertruding disc but your MRI would have shown that ( sorry still can't see your post re MRI) possible a trapped pinched nerve. Have you seen an osteopath 1 that does acupuncture, just for the time being see if it helps.

I will keep fingers crossed it doesn't get worse for you.

I have long history of back problems, which was misdiagnosed for 4 yrs, I'm now 38 and left disabled, I have shooting pain in both legs down to my knees 24/7 so I can understand how painful this is.

Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

ps the peripheral neiropathy I have in my feet and lower legs is not as a result of diabetes nor is it coming from my lower back problems. Years ago I felt as if I was walking on lumps and had very very  tight socks on. It didn't clear up so I saw a consultant who did electric tests on my lower legs and feet and diagnosed "small fibre neuopathy".. There is nor ever has been pain, just numbness and tightness. . The consultant told me my nerves there were about 120 years old compared to everything else which is the same age as me!.So yes I guess I have a lot of problems with my nerves but god knows why. Maybe genetic, I don't know.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Have you had a hip MRI? Mine showed some bursitis and tendonitis. This was confirmed by ultrasound that showed bone spurs. It caused groin and deep thigh aching. When walking my legs would tighten up so much that I would have to stop. Over time the pain would also radiate to the middle of my hip. The legs tightening was very similar to stenosis symptoms which I do not have. I used Lyrica and Cymbalta for many years with no help. As I am unable to use cortisone injections I opted for PRP and am waiting for results. At least I now have a diagnosis...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.