Please help diagnose this (photos included)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Quick history. I never had any problems with my nails, ever, until this. I am really unsure what this is. It started the month I was due to give birth in 2014, after I got a pedicure for the first time ever, the woman snipped my skin with cuticle nippers and it hurt like hell! I ignored the cut and let it heal. A few weeks later I gave birth, and a few weeks after that I took the remainder of the nail polish off to give them a fresh paint. In the top corner of one of my big toes was white. Straight away I thought I'd got some sort of infection from the nail place, but my mother said it could be from squeezing my big pregnant feet into shoes that were too tight (swollen feet from pregnancy.) She thought I had 'runners toe nails' which is when the corners lift from being in tight shoes all the time.

Whatever it is, it has spread to both corners of both big toes. It isn't painful. Last year I cut the entire of the corners off because I thought it might help it to go away forever. But when they grew back, they grew back just the same. 

Does anybody recognise this? If so, what is it and how do I get rid of it?! I am so desperate to fix this. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi anyawill, it looks like a fungal infection of the nail. You can confirm this by consulting with a dermatologist. 

If left untreated it can spread across the whole nail and to the other nails. It is important to use a separate set of nail tools (scissors, file, clipper, etc) to trim the affected nails. Also disinfect the tools after use (for example with rubbing alcohol). You could add laundry disinfectant when washing towels and socks.  

I will send you private message detailing how to maximise the efficiency of anti-fungal creams. 

• Posted

If the affected part of the nail is not attached to the nail bed then you could trim it. But don't go too close the healthy nail in order to avoid injury to the nail.  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Will I benefit from cutting that off? Will it help the infection to clear up quicker?
    • Posted

Quicker is relative. I don't want to disappoint you  but it will take months of diligently applying cream and the bandage every night to get rid of this. It will also depend on how fast your toe nail grows.

The  advantage of trimming the affected part would be that is makes applying the cream onto the nail bed easier. The nail fungus is located below the nail plate in the nail bed. 

Also clippings of the infected nail contain fungal spores that can infect other nails and your clippers or nail files etc. 

I would suggest that you first try your treatment for a few days and then see how it goes. You can still trim the affected part later. 

• Posted

Agree with Dan. A fungal nail infection. Either from the those cuticle nippers that were not thoroughly sterilised or from sweaty tight shoes.  These infections can spread to all the nails if not treated thoroghly so dont delay.    If you are in UK and see your GP he/she may ask you to supply some toenail clippings to confirm the infection but there are lots of treatments you can buy over the counter in the pharmacy.  You have to persevere with the treatment and not wear any nail varnish for best results. Make sure that whatever ttreatment you use it is used on all your toenails . Dan has given you good advice about trimming your infected nail . 

You may need to persevere with several different treaments before you see any results, and it takes time and dedication to use the treatments every day.  If you wear tights then buy some new ones and bin the old ones. Same for socks. Dont wear closed shoes without tights or socks. 

• Posted

Yes,Dan has hit the nail on the head...dont expect quick results.   Luckily you seem to have noticed the deterioration in your nail[s] at an early stage but fungal nail infections can be the devil to treat.   The infected part will never "heal" ...you have to wait for new uninfected growth before you see any difference. Any treatment has to reach underneath the hard nail to the nail bed,which is the growing part.   Dan has mentioned months but be prepared for up to,and even over one year.    You have to be very determined and have lots of perseverance to get rid of this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.