Herbs or supplements for BPH

Posted , 14 users are following.

While I consider what procedure to select for BPH urinary issues, I wonder if anyone has any good results with supplements. It seems every supplement on the market has reviews claiming that it was very effective at relieving BPH symptoms, but those I have tried have not helped much, if at all.

I would appreciate if anyone has had a good outcome, less frequent urination at night and ease of starting a stream to post so the rest of us could give it a try.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After trying many things over many, many years I found that saw palmetto worked very well, but only when combined with grass seed extract. With that combination the results were evident in less than one day. Ultimately my bph worsened and I went with Urolift. I should add that grass seed extract alone did not work.
    • Posted

Hi Bill, I'm using saw palmetto and flower pollen extract, which is also also referred to sometimes as rye flower pollen extract. Is that what you used or was it something else? I too have tried a lot of supplements/ herbs, maybe as many as 20. Quite a few of them made things worse. At the moment, I'm having moderate results, but still self-cathing 3 or 4 times per day. Have been looking into ITind. Anyone know where you can obtain this without participatig in a clinical trial? 

• Posted

Why not go with a trial? I think they try extra hard to obtain good results.
    • Posted

Good morning Light1,

I am in the same boat as you,  self cath 3-4 times a day, taking tamsulosin sometimes 1 sometimes 2 sometimes none,  doesnt really help to pee but does seem to allow the cath to pass through the prostate a little easier and smoother.    Just kinda in the 'wait and watch" mode.   However I am interested in where you have heard of the trial run on Itend?

• Posted

Yes, but you're not guaranteed to get the device. About 1/3 of participants do not get the implant. They are anesthetized, get a cystoscopy, but it is a "dry run". So they go through all of that with no possibility of improvement. Also, I had a diagnosis of pc back in 2007, so would be ineligible for some, if not all, of the studies.

• Posted

There are a number of comments on this Patient forum and you can also find additional info  on the internet
    • Posted

Mia Culpa.  I use PollenAid and the active ingredient is Graminex, othwise known as Flower Pollen Extract. It is available from Amazon. I use the capsule form with saw palmetto.

Bill

• Posted

Yes, I'm taking the Graminex. Also saw palmetto and pygeum. Just started the Graminex. How long does it take to kick in?

• Posted

I noticed some improvement in a few days. It wasn't drastic but I peed better. Maybe the nee pollen wasn't doing it or maybe placebo effect

• Posted

I had the iTind procedure done in the USA at the end of November as part of a clinical trial. Implant experience was very, very tolerable. Much less of an ordeal than I imagined it would be. No pain, just discomfort. More fear and anxiety than I needed to expend but everyone was fantastic. The actual procedure took 5 minutes and another 3 to wake up. No breathing tube down my throat. More like a colonoscopy. I was released about 3 hours afterwards. If I had to do it again in a few years I would do it in a heartbeat. Much easier than wisdom teeth removal or a root canal by comparison.

Implant was annoying to have in but not painful. Just some burning at the tip when urinating because of the irritation, but that lasted 30 seconds at most. Just breathe deeply and I got through it fine. I stayed home and goofed off and rested. Needed to be near a toilet due to urgency and some leakage. Just messy, but really easy to clean up. Very little bleeding. Just passed some very small blood clots.

Results were excellent upon removal on the 6th day. Removal was a bit painful for maybe 15 seconds. A little bleeding which stopped after 5 minutes and then i was able to void my bladder completely. No more urgency. No more discomfort. No leakage. EVERYTHING CALMED DOWN! Instead of going up to 18 times a day I was going 8 times a day. Instead of being up 5-6 times at night I now only get up 1 time at night. I can take long car rides without fear of being stuck in traffic. When I do begin to get the urge to go I can "clamp down" to make the urge go away and wait anouther 20-30 minutes before getting ot a toilet. I no longer worry about where the nearest toilet is, though I do know where every fast food restaurant and public library are. Life is so much better.

Sex is fine. No ED. No retrograde ejaculation. No loss of any sensation.

For me the hardest part has been getting back into a normal sleep cycle. For the past 5 years or so I was not sleeping more than an hour or two at a time so I had become a bit of an insomniac. No deep REM sleep. The most I can usually sleep now without waking is 4 hours though once I did sleep 5 hours. That was sheer bliss.  It is not that I have to use the toilet. It is just that I wake up and can't fall back to sleep.

But everything is so much better.

As for being in the trial I had to deal with the feeling that I mignt be in the control group and would be "fooled" At first it was a huge negative but then I thought more on it and came to the realization that I was not doing this just for myself but for all of the other men, my son and son-in-law included, who will follow me and benefit from this procedure. Also, it will save taxpeyer dollars as most men who need this are over 65 and are ion Medicare. So either I believed that the project was worthy of my time and risk or it was not. And I began to look at it from the perspective of the clinical trial coordiantor, the FDA and saw the benefits that could be achieved.  Also the standard of care in a clinical trial is very, very good.

The iTind is a very elegant solution to dealing with BHP symptoms. There still is no "cure". They still do not know why some men have worse LUTS than others or why the prostate grows faster in some men. They have theories but have not found the actual trigger. The first "i" in iTind stands for ischemic which is how the incisions are made. Instead of cutting tissue as they do in TURP or HoLEP or TUNA, etc. the wires of the iTind contact the tissue and it dies off naturally from being compressed. The cells slough off pretty quickly, not unlike a scab falling off your skin. That leaves the remaining tissue intact with little or no trauma. That is why there is very little bleeding, swelling, pain, etc. Also, the device is placed very precisely so as to avoid damaging nerves, seminal vessicles, and ejaculatory ducts. That is why there is little risk of negative side effets.

I am still going back for followup visits to test bladder capacity, output flow and post void residual. Not a big hassle. And there was no cost to me except for the post op meds which were cheap, something like $20 total for anti-biotics and some pain meds to help with the burning.

Like I said,m I would do this in a heartbeat if I had to in the future to avoid all of the problems of TURP, or other more traumatic procedures.

• Posted

I'm of the opinion that most supplements won't help.with BPH. That said i do think I got some weak stream relief when I was taking bee pollen extract. I did end up on flow max though

• Posted

I have wasted a lot of money on supplements. I have found a combination that helps me: 1000mg pumpkin seed oil, 500 mg stinging nettle root, 100 mg pygeum bark. I take this every morning and at bedtime, and it helps. None of the commercial compositions, and I have tried at least 20, have had any effect.I am also happy to say that I have found an effective ED supplement, Reliable Richard. I had PAE in July of 2015, but the IR was only able to get to one side, and the positive effects only lasted about 9 months. I was suddenly back to six times a night to the bathroom. With the supplements above, I now am up twice a night.
    • Posted

ramblin - Can't believe it, with one exception I take the same supplements.  Instead of pumpkin seed oil, I toast raw pumpkin seeds, and I've noticed an improvement.  Some men swear by Saw Palmetto.  Guys, if you're one of them, take my opinion for what it's worth.  The best Saw Palmetto out there ... comes from Walmart.  You read that right.  I pay for this data from a ... Lab ... dedicated to ... Consumers ... if you get my drift. 

• Posted

Richard, I would like to know the answer to your question too...I've had a REZUM, but still have to go to the bathroom too frequently, ie. 3-4 times at night and 5-6 times the rest of the day...

• Posted

Randy, would you mind telling me how long ago you had it, and how long the healing process took.  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.