Need advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Posted on here before , got my date for injection which is 20th Feb. But I just read it and there not sedating me. Am I am so scared of needles and the thought this goes in me back scares me , can someone tell me if this procedure is painful.

Am so scared and nervous any help please

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna

It's really not bad. I have had 3.

They lie you on your front. They will have a small scanner that they run you in and out of a few times to get an idea of whats where. Then they clean your back with wipes.

Then they give you a local anaesthetic. Usual quick pinch for that.

Then you don't feel very much. You see nothing. They then put in the needle. Check its position in the scanner again. They might adjust the position which you feel a little bit. Then they inject the steroids and more anaesthetic which you will feel numbing your leg or buttock.

You won't feel anything when they come out again.

All in about 15 mins from the very start to the end.

It's a bit peculiar but honestly I have had far worse trips to the dentist.

Just keep focusing on your breathing to relax and remember they have done more of these than you had hot dinners.

• Posted

Thanks were do they put the local anastetic?
    • Posted

Hi,

They put the anaesthetic in the skin surrounding the area where the steroid injection goes. I've had two; one with anaesthetic and one without and it's not painful, just unusual feeling. The steroid injection gave me about 60% pain relief, enough to get up and about and tolerate the pains. Others I know who've had it done have had 100% relief, I hope you get the same result. Michael0557 described my exact experience too. It's a CT scan they use. Good luck, remember to relax.

• Posted

Hiya thanks for reply, am I being a bit naive to think this injection will make me better an I never have pain again ? I am holding all my hopes on this injection I don't think I cope if it doesn't work . I wanna go back to work been off four months. And think when it reaches 6 months there let me go .

I am suffering with depression badly since having this slipped disc my life has stopped.

So my question is people that have this injection does it completely fix the problem ?

• Posted

In my experience no, it may no difference, it's not designed to be a permit fix, otherwise we'd all be having these instead of operation s, yet some get more benefit from these than others s some the pain free zones last longer than others. Good luck. It could also aggravate the situation but it's a case of how longs a piece of string. You won't no till u try .

• Posted

Why do they give you the injection then Jessica ? Could you please explain to me am outta my depth here with all this . Am trying to understand
    • Posted

Well what I was told was if the injection works temporarily, it proves an operation would. Still not quite sure how that works. Because you'd think if the injection work s then why operate. I had my first injection 4 year ago, it did not work. The consultant told me he wanted to do another, I didn't see the point the first one did not work. So I agreed just to shut him up, as he said he would not operate until I gave it another go. But that's what he said about the first injection. As it happens I never got the second injection, as 6 months after the first one I was rushed down to theatre as the 2 disc s causing the problem s had burst and collapsed. So I had an emergency discectomy decompression. 3 year later an in the same boat, except now iam seeing another consultant at a private hospital via the nhs, as I fell out with the last one because of his lies. My neurosurgeon surgeon now is brilliant. He did try a second injection in October I was reluctant giving the last one, but thought I'd try. As it happens it didn't work and I spent 5 days in hospital after with a fever and side affect s. Safe to say no more for me, so end of Feb I go for a discogram, where they push needles into my back to touch the problem disc, if there pain full they are most definitely the problem. We've discussed further decompression and spinal fusion. If the results are positive from this test , the consultant s certain they will be . Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Jessica , when I see him he said even if he does this he may not be able to help me . I didn't like him as it is but doctor told me I have wait a long time see someone else .

The surgeon said that he can send me to have pain injections or physio . Physio didn't help and why not give me pain injections before

Its a private hospital and if I don't get any joy after this I will complain about him

As I felt he belittled me when I saw him

I am dredin every part of this after 4 months am done in

I hope all goes well for u Jessica

• Posted

I had one in October the procedure was no where near as bad as I thought but I had a reaction and had s spout of 5 days in hospital due to fever ect and it didn't work. This is the 2nd one I've had over 4 year with an emergency discectomy decompression in between. No more injection s for me,there's another op on the cards. Most consultant s insist on trying st at least one injection first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.