Completely off prednisone; pain is getting worse.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Back again, 

My friend is completely off the prednisone, and has had a few days of okay mobility and tolerable pain.  She's started taking the supplements that were suggested but it's only been a couple of days and it says it could take up to 5 to feel the results. 

She's taking NSAIDs but over the past few days the pain is getting unbearably worse.  At this point she doesn't feel she can drive herself to to work as she can barely grip the steering wheel and getting up and down even to go to and come back from the restroom is almost impossible. 

When I posted here before, a few people commented that they'd been through the same thing and it was bad but got better in the long run.  

If any of you have any advice I can give her, it would be much appreciated.  I'm trying my best to help her get through this. 

Thank you 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

She needs biologics! I have been on Humira and Arava for many years, no pain or joint damage. Does she have insurance?
    • Posted

She does and her doctor wants her on Humira but her insurance doesn't cover it.  I had heard of assistance programs to help with the cost so I've been looking into that for her.  She has another appointment in about a week or so once she get a different insurance issue taken care of.  

• Posted

I have taken Humira and am taking Enbrel now. Both offer assistance if you have some kind of insurance. You can go to their website and they will have a link with a number to call. All Humira asks you is if you have insurance and who they are and if you are on any kind of government assistance. I got it for $10 a month and they will even cover additional meds like MTX. Tell your friend to look it up. It's quite a process, their doctor will have to order it and then fax Humira the order. When receiving Humira (in my state at least--Oklahoma, USA) you have to have it shipped directly to your house. It's really pretty easy. Good luck to your friend.

• Posted

Thank you so much I will pass this info on to her.  
    • Posted

Look up humira on line. Call the number. 15 min process and as long as u r not on gov assist u will get the co pay assist card. I think up to $12000 a year.

Easy process.

Once they give u r co pay card number give that to Pharm who will fill the humira and they will apply the card.

Never heard of an iinsr that didn't cover it.

Uniessnthey want u to try a diff medicine first. Any reg insurance will otherwise cover it. Unless its Medicaid ?

• Posted

How long have you been on humira and any side effects?
  • Posted

I was told that if I was on medicare or medicaid that I could not get assistance.  We have private insurance thru my spouse's work so I qualified for assistance from Humira.   I live in the US also so don't know how it works in other countries.  I was paying $65/ month.   

So nice that your friend has you to help her search for information and advice

Good luck to your friend.  

• Posted

Thanks again to all of you.  The reason her insurance won't pay is cause her plan only covers generics.  I will pass all of your info on to her this evening.  I know she applied for the assistance for Humira years ago and didn't get it cause of her income  I believe it was when she was on unemployment when she was between jobs.  

Again, thank you 

• Posted

She should try again with Humira for sure b/c they didn't ask a thing about our income.   I don't think that enters into the picture at least in the US

• Posted

same here Gloria, I was all ready to hang up if I had to give them all my financial info....they never asked. She asks if I had insurance and if I was on government assist and that was it. But now I am wondering if you are on medicare in the US will they cover? I never thought about that!
    • Posted

When I spoke to them very recently they said if I had medicare I would not be able to get the discount thru Humira.  Maybe if someone has medicare advantage program but I think they are even more restrictive on what they allow..   My rheumatologist said I was very lucky that my husband still worked and we would be able to get the discounted Humira cost.  I think 650/mo without that assist with our private ins and somewhere I read 1000 for medicare/ month but i may be wrong on that.

Either one of those 2 costs would not be possible for us.  

• Posted

I am on Medicare and you are right I cannot get the discount thru Humira, before it cost me $5 a month with my insurance and the discount.  Now it costs me $1,500.00 a month for two months, for the rest of the year it is $200 a month.  I think it is ridiculous but it works well for me and my rheumatologist does not want me to change from Humira as long as it is working so well.  There are biologics that Medicare covers completely but I am afraid to try them for fear that they will not work.  I will keep taking Humira as long as I have the money because when I was diagnosed with RA 11 years ago, I honestly did not think I would be able to walk much longer, I was in so much pain!  I am pain free and feel good now, worth every penny!
    • Posted

do you know what biologics that medicare covers? 
    • Posted

I am so glad you found something that works for you,  it is worth every penny.   It is a miracle drug for those it has helped!.   confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.