Low PSA with Symptoms Of BPH or PC

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I found out that my doctor had been giving me PSA tests without my knowledge of it for the last 6 years. It started at age 42. Back then my PSA was .33 and two years later it was .34 and this year he told me that I would have to have a PSA test. Ok, I never wanted to be tested at all, but I did and my PSA is now .32. So it has gone down as I have gotten older, go figure. The issue is I have trouble urinating, I go all the time. I have had burning pain with a clear discharge after urinating. I was on Cipro as a precaution for Prostatitis, but it didn't make much of a difference. I have Crohn's disease and it is causing inflammation in my entire colon, including my Rectum. I also have a rectal fissure caused by the bowel disease. So I can't figure out what is going on. With the issues I am having I would have thought that my PSA would be a little high, but it is super low. If inflammation from my bowel is causing the symptoms I would think that it would cause enough pressure on my Prostate to increase PSA. Is it really common at all for someone to have PC at age 48 with such a low PSA? I have pain as well like one would have with prostatitis like pain during orgasm and in my scrotum. Man it is odd. I am not sure if I should go back to my urologist as she was running out of ideas and if I had BPH you would think that my PSA would be high as well, not sure. PC doesn't run in my family, but BPH does.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Craig. Yes, i would have thought your PSA would be higher, but maybe your body has got used to your other medical issues and the prostate carries on as normal. I think it is great your doctor has been recording your PSA results for the last 6 years. At least you now have a map of your pre PCa PSA should the need arise. Important you get these readings from the doctor.

Geoff 

• Posted

It would seem as though I need to see my Urologist again and let her know that my PSA is low, but yet I have symptoms. Not sur what they can do for me. I would say that maybe it is a bladder issue, but that doesn't explain the discharge of thick clear fluid. Maybe I have scar tissue from having a kidney stone removed, but again doesn't explain the discharge. I figured it was BPH, but now I am not sure of anything.

• Posted

My hunch is that your prostate is not the source of your difficulties apart from the possibility of inflammation or infection at times other than when you had the PSA tests. BPH would maybe cause urgency and frquency, but I think it also tends to cause obstruction and you don't mention retention, which is one of the most dangerous aspects. Does your 'like orgasm' pain come and go ('scuse the pun!) or is t it constant? And is it affected by your body position - especially sitting?

• Posted

The pain comes and goes. It isn't all the time and I know that there have been cases of men with very low PSA scoes that had agressive cancer, but it isn't the norm. I doubt I have PC, but I have symptoms and I can't help but think that it is related to my bowel disease. My rectum has active disease now and it is so close to the Prostate, I would imagine that the inflammation could some how effect it. Not to mention I am on Prednisone and that counters all the inflammitory tests that they have done. All of them come back low and the colonoscopy proves that there is inflammation. Prednisone can crush PSA results as well giving someone a false sense of security. I may ot for a PCA3 test as my doctor did order it.

• Posted

I think I know what you mean about bowel and Prostate proximity. I have had urine infections whilst having long term diarrhoea, now diagnosed as Bile Acid Malabsorption. Both are now improved with dietary changes and treatment but I still find I have urgency of both types at times! Our UK NHS consultants rarely seem to pool their understanding to treat the whole person, so it's up to me and my GP to fathom any connection!

• Posted

Just keep proactive and find out what is going on . Psa isn't the only factor for Prostate Cancer .I don't mean to scare you with the statistics I am going to give you but these are true comparisons .My husband Dave when we finally got the idiotic nurse Practioner to give him a psa test was 80 Dec 5 2012 aged 61 date off death Aug 29 2015 psa 10, 300 plus . Our Freind Darrell date of diagnosis 2009 But by God's grace is here Psa is 119 and the cancer has been at stage 4 four many years .His psa was always just above normal even through all these years . The rise to 119 has just been recent with the treatments not working for him any longer but he had 74 chemo treatments and did so well for over 8 yrs. . PC is one of the sneakiest of men's cancers . I think I would request a second opinion here because of your health issues and the obvious discomfort you are going through.

• Posted

I am sorry that you had to go through all of that. You are correct PC can be sneaky and that is why I asked my doctor for a PCA3 test in case PSA came back high. I will make sure to keep an eye on things, but I do believe my issues are caused by muscle issues in my pelvic area. I have had problems all my life with pain from severe spasm. Thank you for the help. I believe that as sneaky as the cancer is, we now have tools such as PCA3 in order to give a man a fighting chance against this disease. I can only hope that doctors use the tools that they have to help prevent any more tragedy.
    • Posted

I just picked up a health pamphlet from a urologist office called Prostate Health Playboy . I think it may put your symptoms in prospective. There is actually a chart in the front rating things like frequency , urgency , nocturnal bathroom requirements. I think if you can get a copy it may help you tell the urology In a numbered way about your problems .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.