Suffering every night with hayfever

Posted , 6 users are following.

I dont know what to do. Every night I suffer with a runny nose and sneezing, and I have tried most things. Steriod nasal spray, air filter, allergy sensitive pillows, anti histamine tablets, vacuming mattress with the Dyson mattress vacum cleaner and I still wake up with this. Even just after waking up after 2 hours sleep it can start, however it is worse in the early morning around 5-6 am, and finally dies down around midday. It only occurs after I have fallen asleep, otherwise I feel fine before bed. I have had a blood test and come up with medium level IgA for dust mites, and low level IgA for pollen. Can somebody please advise what else I can do? And what is causing this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

A skin prick test would be more appropriate, it shows a lot more things to what you could be allergic to. 

But it sounds like you are allergic to something in your bedroom.

So I probably would experiment trying to sleep in another room, definitely in another bed. If no change, try to move away for a few days and see if you get any better. Narrow down to what you are allergic to. 

How old is your bed? If too old the best Dyson won't clean up all the dust mites.

How long do you suffer from this?

• Posted

I have been suffering this morning hayfever past 5 years, but in general hayfever all my life. It doesnt matter if I sleep in the other bed room in the other bed, I still get it. When I have stayed in hotel rooms while travelling I have still woken up with the hayfever, though with varying degrees from mild to severe. Both my beds in my house have mattresses that are 10- 12 years old if that makes any difference? But how old is too old? Like I said I have Dyson cleaned these mattresses and put them out in sun for a few hours, but no help. Do you think I need new mattresses? 

Thanks, I will consider a skin prick test.

• Posted

if you can put it on the sun is great! sun kills dust mites! 

You must be really sensitive if you travleed to different places and you didn;t get much relief. Though keep in mind recover from severe allergies doesn't happen overnight.

I had to move from a hot tropical climate because of my allergies, I had blocked nose 24/7, afeter I moved started to get better and now I'm more or less ok, still have some problems at night, but nowhere as severe as was before.

You mentionned pollen as well. You can buy nasal filters, *search on google, ebay, amazon) ,not sure if it will help but cheap enough to try.

10 year old I guess that would be fairly old, so you could benefit from a new one. 

• Posted

Sorry, I havent laid out the mattresses in the sun, just the pillows. I have brand new Healthguard pillows with dust mite covers, but why doesnt this help much? How do the dust mites from the mattress get into the nasal areas if your face is on the pillow the whole night?

Thanks I will look into nasal filters. I wish pollen was my only issue, but I suffer just as bad on low pollen days. 

Yeah, I might have to get a new mattress but they just arent cheap. 

• Posted

Marcus

I feel compelled to repeat my recent posts regarding allergy problems.

I suffered from hayfever, rhinitis, and sinusitis for 65 years before discovering a miracle cure in Evening Primrose Oil. Please read my post Sinus Infection- An Effective Treatment, of 9 th February 2016 (Raymond 24308), for my lifetime journey with allergy problems.

During this period I tried all known cures. Many of these had some beneficial affects, but the problem was continuous and very debilitating.

Evening Primrose Oil was the cure for my chronic allergy problem.

It reduces the sensitivity of the nervous system, so the body does not react to normal irritants. It is not a drug, so it has no harmful side affects. It takes about 4 hours to work and it is active for a further 24 hours, so one 1000mg capsule daily is normally sufficient.

As you have an allergy problem, this treatment will be beneficial for your problem, and may even be a miracle cure. It is a simple and very economic treatment.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

Hi Ray

I have been trying the capsules for a week now, and havent really noticed anything. When do you start to notice any change? Do you need at least a month?

• Posted

Marcus

Evening Primrose Oil is very effective on allergy problems, and usually works in about 4 hours. However in stubborn cases the improvement may be gradual.

You will inevitably benefit in some way, as your nerves become less sensitive, so I suggest a trial for one month. If you get no benefit in that time you probably do not have an allergy problem.

Best regards Ray 

A good example of the effectiveness of Evening Primrose Oil.

My staffy dog had an incessant itching problem, so I gave him a capsule daily as a trial. I noticed gradual improvement, and an almost complete cure in two weeks. I still treat him daily to reduce the sensitivity of his nervous system.

I hope you get benefit from this treatment.

Ray.

• Posted

Thanks, I will give it a month. Is there any benefit to taking 2 or 3 capsules?

And also, is there any brand you recommend or do you consider all the brands pretty effective?

• Posted

Marcus

I usually take Cenovis Evenimg Primrose Oil 1000mg capsules, but I do not really have a preference.

The directions on the bottle suggest 2 to 3 capsules daily, with meals, so perhaps a short term trial of 2 capsules per day would be worth a try to see if there is any benefit.

Avoid cigarette smoke and alcohol, as these are obvious irritants.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

I will increase to 2 capsules a day and see how I go for a month. Great I also got the Cenovis one. And yes I dont smoke and can hold off alcohol for a month. Thanks again. 
  • Posted

Hi

Do you test chlorpheniramine?

• Posted

It is old antihistamine.that is work for me but nake me sleepy and need take 3 times in day.

I take" fexofenadine 180 mg "with nasonex nasal spray.also i start immunotherapy.

You can test this drug.I have bad allergy.test all medcine.

• Posted

I have tested all the 6 brand antihistamine tablets that are available in my state, so probably chlorpheniramine is in one of those brands. But I dont take the drowsiness tablets anymore as they still affect me even 15 hours after I have taken it. Thanks anyway. 
    • Posted

I try all medcine last year but decide to take high dose antihistamine and test again.

For me mix of nasonex nasal spray and 2 tablaet fexofenadine 180 mg work.

Yes.i hate drowiness tablet too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.