PLEASE HELP ME. What is wrong with my eyes?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Honestly so desperate I can't even explain. I've been waking up for about 8 months with massively swollen eyes, eyelashes falling out, dryness and generally dull looking skin. I've seen two dermatologists who said potentially ezecma but all meds haven't seemed to make a difference, was told to apply topical steriod cream on eyelids but it doesn't help the swelling at all. Been to Opmalthologist and he said he doesn't 'think' its blepharitis but I'm synical. I've been using blephasol wipes and hot compress and nothings helped. Could it be hormones? I'm a 20 year old female, and going thorugh this has caused me a HUGE amount of stress and severe depression. I know this is probably making it worse but could this be the cause? Please, if anyone can give me any advice I will be so grateful. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi molly, Try to think if there is anything new your using. Even if it is blepharitis,it wax and waynes. things trigger mine. I have ezecma as well so i treat it like that. What eye drops have they given you?
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. I dont think its anything new I'm using as nothings changed, could it be a dust mite allergy maybe? How do you treat your ezecma? Because I don't get any flakey dryness but kind of has the apperance of being dry, i.e. extra creases on my eyelids and underneath. I've been given a rnage of eyedrops, all preservative free.

• Posted

the best thing i do,is keep everything away from them when they swell for a few days, meaning no makeup,soap,just cool water till they resume. I thought all of that too,dust mites,mites,allergy,i made changes with everything!
    • Posted

They swell up every morning though even if I haven't done anything to them sad

• Posted

me too,i just wait and they go down ,then a day or two later they will swell,it is a life long battle for me,i have bleph., i also have ezcema as well around the eye. I just deal and continue to not irritate them at all,mine is a full year and a half like this ,be strong 
    • Posted

try your own remedys,meaning,use different advice that ppl give you on here,they are quite smart and see what works for you. I keep my sheets very clean in case allergy, I limit makeup use,NEVER RUB,EVER,LOL  I use cool rinses,you will find what works,good luck smile

• Posted

Susan ... I ohave had it for seven months but only once did the swell up monstrous ly, from rubbing the controllable itch. When I added twenty ml of Zyrtec, I was able to get through it. And I havent stopped taking it since. I also needed: AzaSite, Refresh lacri lube, Systane Nightime Gel Lubricant, Refresh Advanced Gel Eye Drops, Tacrolimus Ointment (to clear up the eczema around my eyelids and undereye once I'd gotten the bacteria under co trol, numerous cold and warm compresses. It was brutal.

I refuse to go t hrough it again. I am being scrupulous about my eyelid hygiene now, washing 3x a day with tea tree oil and baby shampoo, occasional use of Wet Ones, continue taking my Zyrtec and Omega 3s and keep AzaSite handy for when I feel an it h or my eyes burn even a little, signaling a possible uptick in bacteria. I do not ever want to go through what took away from me almost the entire month od January!

Stay vigilant folks.

• Posted

agnes,wow, so your saying it is a over growth of bacteria for you? could be,i have no idea what mine is. All i know is i stayed over at a hotel used the towels 2 days later my eyes itched,burned,swelled and after a year i finally just gave in and took my blepharitis and eczema diagnosis and called it a day. Had tobrodex,steriods,and they only thing that worked was just keeping them clean and cool not warm,warm was the kiss of death for me. who knows whats wrong,mited,bacteria,faulty immune system,oil glands,i have no idea,but makeup and rubbing will send me back to burn and itch ville,lol
    • Posted

agnes,i too used all that stuff,even the tea tree but my skin was way to sensitive........I guess for me,I just really really want to know the root cause,some say staph but i never had pus or red inside,some say mites but,after awhile i would assume they would die....maybe faulty oil glands but i think one would see the lil oil glands filled with oil,who knows,im just someone who likes to understand whats going on with my body.
    • Posted

Ok, consider exploring your hormone levelspossibly being the cause of the bacteria proliferation. I'm older and read somewhere that my hormone levels might be off so I added massive Omega3 caps, at 1,000 ml each I took six a day started to about a month ago while I was going through my worst bout, and continue to do so. Its just a thought. If you can do a blood panel with yoyr doctor it might give you an answer as to whether this might be one of the root causes. If its mites, you still need to control the itch and watery eyes, so try the Zyrtec, if you haven't. Mites lay eggs and die leaving their carcasses behind to stop up your melibonium glands, causing dry eye symptoms. But bleph is more than just dry eye syndrom, whi h im not sure involves a proliferation of rampant bacteria. Washi g with an acne face wash whi h attacks stph bacteria is a good idea. If your skin is sensitive due to the eczema you say you have, ask your dermo what to use and how often you can use it to keep the bacteria down. Bacteria is the key here. I'm not sure how much bacteria an eczema condition engenders on the skin, just that I have read it is one of the root causes of bleph.

Dont get too discouraged. None of the rhi gs you've tried works in a short time. You must keep at it. And do not unnecessarily tou h your eyes, and never without first washing your hands.

Good luck.

• Posted

Also, do not wear eye makeup at all. Its probably contaminated from way back when you contracted this condition. As you've probably read here, none of us wear eye makeup any more. In the future you can purchase disposable mascara wands. That you use once, one for each eye, and discard.

• Posted

my dearest agnes,i have to wear makeup,i look scary with out it,lol   thank you
    • Posted

I went to a dermatologist after my eyes swelling a d redness and burning, etc. Went down and she prescribed an eczema ointment TACROLIMUS which is clear, like vazeline, comes in a big tube, to be applied sparingly on the dry skin just below the eyelid and above on the eyelid too but not up to the lash line and it cleared up in two days. I continued to have issues on the bridge of my nose from seepage from my eyes while I slept and until my eyes were normal again, used the ointment and it dissappeared fast. This is good stuff folks.

• Posted

YES,I HAVE IT,I THINK IT'S A STERIOD CREAM. sorry caps on,lol it looks like vaseline. I always had skin issues,never eye  or eye lid though. But i went to the best eye drs. and all the same bleph. So here i am

• Posted

I am an opthalmic trained nurse.

I am sorry to hear that you are having these awful problems but they can be resolved and then your depression and anxiety will start to diminish.

Have you been using any eye  make  up? Even non allergenic brands can cause thtese problems as well as dry eyes especially black mascara!!

I would advise you to stop using ALL creams etc and certainly to stop the baby shampoo.

Shampoo may clean the gubbings off your eyes but trust me when I asay it will irritate the eyes causing dryness and smarting.

?Sterod cream will also damage the eyes if it enters the eyes which is inevitable as you are applying it to your eye lids.

To summarise I would not use anything on or near your eyes for s few days at least to see  if this makes any difference.

?If you wish to ease the eye discomfort  then may I suggest sticking to placing tissues that have been immersed in warm water then  wrung out  over your closed eyelids .Obviously never use hot water as this can burn your skin and eyes etc. 

NB MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE REMOVED ALL CREAMS FROM YOUR EYELIDS BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

?The water will lubricarte your eyes and provide some relief. You may need tto repaet this several times a day for a coupleof days, it is far safer than trying eye drops, baby shampoo, tree oil because you may be allergic to any of the constituents of tthese producs. I have had a problem with baby shampoo when washing my hair. It worsened the sensation of burning and itching and that was ater one single use. I threw it away!!

Sorry to sound pushy but the decision is entirely yours bit I am just passing on my personal experiences as a nurse and a patient.

?I would look yp blepharitis. You can always go to another optician and just tell them that you are having a problem and what would they suggest. Possibly over the telephone ,the other sourse of very quick profdessional information is to ring one of the big eye hospitals up. There is one in London Moorfields eye hospital where thay have emergency helplines that will advise over the phone.

?This is their number 0207 253 3411

• Posted

I agree. Everyone says don't wear make up but when you have to look presentable at your job everyday that's one thing that is very hard to do. Some people have to go to a job everyday and don't have the luxury of sitting at home all day with warm compresses and performing eye lid massages. 😆

• Posted

Jane I'm curious about your message regarding black mascara, what color mascara do you find that is better when having this condition. I've had blepharitis for years and since I have to apply make up daily to look presentable I'm curious what mascara would be better suitable for this condition. Thanks

• Posted

HiLena

Re black mascara. I was told by an allergy expert not to use the deep black mascara as there is a product in it that is moe drying and irritating than in the brown/black mascara.

​I think that any mascara is detrimental even the anti allergenic ones.

• Posted

Hi, could I possibly send you a couple of pictures via email of the eyes? I've noticed that before they swell in the morning, the day prior to that my eyelids are very veiny and red ans there's an almost white line across my eyelash line? Would really appreciate the help, thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.