Wrist Tendonitis!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am in CONSTANT PAIN... Ive been suffering from wrist tendonitis since Dec 2016. So Im about 6 weeks out. I went to the Regular Dr. in Jan and did a 9 day course of  predisone. It started to help but when the dosing finished it came back over time. I Went to the hand Dr. (Feb 2nd) Xray normal, Sedrate normal, and he gave me a cortisone shot on the top of my wrist along with a brace. He Diagnosed me with 4th dorsal compartment tendonitis. At this time im not able to do pt b/c Im having leg surgery feb 13th.

Im still unable to use my wrist at all. AT ALL... At times the wrist brace seems to irriate it more. I cant push, pull, twist, wash dishes, fold laundry, or drive with the left wrist. Ive been resting it for weeks. Even at rest its in constant pain.

Heres an interesting fact.... Dec 2016 I took Bactrium for a UTI. I took two doses and woke up the next morning with bad wrist pain. All my research doesnt really show that Bactrim causes tendon issues. AND THEN... It dawned on me that Dec 2015 I took the same antibotic (bactrim) for a UTI and had the same wrist pain. COINCIDENCE???

Do any of my friends on here suffer from wrist tendonitis? Is it possible the antibotic triggered this issue? Is this normal for the pain to last this long? 

The Dr. shrugged his shoulder about the bactrium and said maybe. He also didnt really give me a time frame for this to get better. Im just looking for any other experiences.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi jw454 --

If you google the wrist pain you've been having with the UTI drug (Bactrim), I've actually seen some connections with the 2 myself online (which is a bit odd, in that when I was on it last year for a 5-day regimen, my BP went up and wouldn't seem to come down again, even though it had been fine for years before that). What I learn from this is that Bactrim has too many potential complications, and I would not take it again. Hopefully, your wrist pain will abate - which seems to happen as a drug gets out of our systems. My sense about drugs is that they can help in a few ways, but then can also cause some nasty side effects (e.g., like steroid injections for low back pain, as they're known to thin the nearby bones and tendon). Not a good trade-off. 

So good luck, and will write again soon. My issue is a partially torn gluteus medius tendon 2 years ago, after a storage bin collapsed with my dog and I on it - and doctors only seem to run X-rays to R/O fractures but don't do soft imaging tests - which would have shown it up immediately(and I would've been advised to take it easy for a few months with jogging, stair climbing, and even crossing our legs, since that in itself can irritate the tendon's fibers - but I would have precluded the terrible low back throbbing I've had since it happened, likely even affecting the SI joints). Amazing how everything is so complicated AND so connected (achilles's tendons are even known to create back pain, so I'm not surprised at too much these days, only aggravated by it all - since we folks experience way too much pain as a result of it all.

Take care, -Annie 

PS. How long did the wrist pain last in Dec. 2015 when you took the Bactrim, because maybe it'll follow a similar pattern this time - but at least keep in mind, it WILL get out of your system and then you'll return to 'baseline' levels !!!

• Posted

Hi Annie! Sorry I missed your response. Boy it sounds like your going through the ringer yourself. Hopefully your in a better place.

I just had my 4 week follow up and we are going to try PT. If that doesn't work then it's probably surgery per my hand doc. He said surgery to open up the channels a little better for the tendons to move better. Of course I'm probably saying that all wrong b/c the only thing I heard was surgery and I panicked internally...

I've had a hard time finding info about bactrim too. A little here and there like you. Last time it was around aug/sept before it finally felt normal. But also took 2 medrol dose paks for a separate issue in that time frame. Soooo I'm really hoping pt helps. But knowing my luck it will be surgery! :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.