Screw removal after bunion surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had bunion surgery last September with 2 screws placed in  right foot.

I have a bump appeared top of right foot that surgeon has confirmed is a screw that needs removing now. 

I have surgery booked for beginning of April for left foot to have bunion removed and also to remove the screw from right foot.

Unfortunatley this is the earliest date available.

I would be grateful if other people could let me know how long they waited before screw removal once a problem was confirmed?

It is getting sorer and I am back in a larger shoe for now which makes it tolerable but would be really grateful to hear your experiences.

I have been told to go to local accident and emergency should things get really bad....

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heidi, Havnt had my bunion operated on yet, I am just keeping track of people's experiences at the moment. From what I have read and heard the  Bosch Technique (minimally invasive surgery) which can only be done at the European Foot Institute in Brighton,UK by Dr Novak, is the best op and a lot quicker recovery which I am considering.I live in Australia and they do not not do this op over here, so it would mean going to the UK for this. The people I have spoken to here in Perth most seem to have had problems which really puts me off. It will be quite an expensive exercise but the fact that they have more successful outcomes than having it done the old archaic way with longer recovery times and more chance of things going wrong.   I am interested to know which country you are in. Good luck Pam

• Posted

Hi Heidi , I had bunion surgery with hammertoe surgery at same time in may 2016 all went well they put 3 screws in that was to be left there permanently but then a few month after I noticed bump at we're the bunion area was , you could feel it purtruding from out the underneath of the skin ... it was very painful and sore... when I saw surgeon in Dec just gone to have my other foot done he confirmed it was screw and took it out whilst I was in theatre having the other foot done leaving just 2 screws in now in that foot which he said is fine... xx

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. Yes, it is sore and I am back in a larger trainer. I have seven weeks to go until the screw is removed. I hope that it does not get more painful or start to come through the skin.
    • Posted

Hi Angela,

I had bunion surgery on my right foot two months ago and was told after my post op x-ray that the screw is to long and will need removing if I ever get pain or discomfort. Unfortunately I can feel it and it hurts underneath. How much time did you have to take off work to recover from the screw removal? As I work for a small business that can't really afford for me to be off for two weeks again! Hope you can answer my question, many thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.