Bradycardia, fatigue, dizzyness (25yo)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi evrybody,

I am a 25yo female, and I've been experiencing a slow heart beat (bradycardia) 44-60 bpm, palpitations, fatigue and dizzyness for 2 weeks now. I can't go to work or do anything physical without going faint and almost passing out. I'm feeling weak and tired all the time no matter how much I sleep. It started out of nowhere, one morning I just felt faint all of a sudden and have been like this ever since. I have fainted a couple times in the past for no reason, after it I would feel weak for a day or so but would be fine after a night's sleep. 

I tried some light exercise at home a few days ago but that just made me more faint so I stopped. 

I'm not overweight, I don't smoke or drink. I've been to my GP and the bloodwork came back ok, also a 10second ECG was fine, my pulse was 60 at the time, my blood pressure was fine. 

I am scheduled for a 24hr ecg, as my pulse fluctuates through the day and i also feel palpitations (uneven heart beat).

Is it possible that at 25 I need a pacemaker? After extensive googling I've pretty much ruled out any other causes like cardiac infections (no fever) or thyroid disorders, unless someone else can advise me differently. Please help, I hate feeling lke this sad

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Some people are born with a bundle blockages, electrical system of your heart. Thats what my husband has, on both sides, his left side bundle they think may have been there for years, but his right side bundle gave it away last easter.

His heart beat dropped to 30bpm, and then in the hospital 23bpm.

Pacemkaer installed, he is 60. 

His symptoms in the lead up to the shutdown, were bicep pain, and weakness in left arm, diagnosed as rotor cuff, torn muscle, arthiritis, and pinched nerve in neck, even when his heart beat at 30bpm still saying pinched nerve in neck, NO NO NO NO, I kept telling the jnr Dr's its not, its his heart, breathless when he did anything, but it came and went for 15 months before the the complete shut down, Eventuslly the consultant overheard me yelling at the top of my voice at the young Dr's they were idiots as i lost my temper with them not listening to what i had to say, and questioning my medical degree or lack of, thats when i really lost it. 

Consultant put them in their place in about 4 words, and ordered an immediate pacemaker, and congratulated me and being right. 

Even put a note on husbands file, listen to wife she knows what she is talking about, signed it himself and showed me, and said that will make the juniors sit up and take notice..

You do realise that some of the most fit people in the world only have aheartbeat in the high 30's ie olympic athletes. 

But having a 24 hr halter should show if you have issues, other than that can you get a fitbit that records your heartbeat, and holds it in its memory, and then you can load it up on your computer and do a print out for the Dr's, maybe too much expense, but a man here in australia proved he had a problem that way. Vry interesing when you are in the heart hospital, from the very young to the very old, in my husband room last time a fitness freak, weightlifter, with a major heart issue, torn a muscle in and around his heart, an 18 yr old with electrial or branch blockage, serious had a pacemaker, caused by an infection, or virus, he said it was only like a cold, and a 85 yr old who was lucky to be alive, his heart stopped in casualty, he said that had them jumping.

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for sharing your story and your advice, I bought a Polar h7 heart rate monitor today and I am recording my heart rate on my smartphone using an app, I am seeing my gp tomorrow so I'll try to print the readings.

Last night I had a weird episode for a few minutes where I wasn't able to concentrate and felt confused when my boyfriend was talking to me, he said that I wasn't making any sense. I didn't have any other symptoms that would indicate a stroke or something serious (no chest pain, no pain in the arm, motor functions were fine, i was able to read and speak). No idea what that was about, I called 999 today and explained what had happened and they said that it wasn't an emergency.

• Posted

I am starting to think that this might be hypothyroidism. A lot of the symptoms match and my mum had it as well and was diagnosed when she was around my age. Also I saw a cardiologist and after an ECG and looking at the symptoms he pretty much ruled out a heart problem, although he advised an echocardiogram, which I will probably get just in case. I am seeing an endocrinoilogyst next week, 'ill post when I know more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.