Need opinions on Prozac

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking Prozac for 12 weeks, and I've recently went up to 40mg for the last 3 weeks. I suffer from panic disorder, and while my panic attacks have stopped, my brainfog/derealization continues when I have slight anxiety. Should I bump up to 60mg? Keep waiting it out with the 40mg? Or switch medicine? Opinions?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wish I could help; am in the same boat. I've been on 40mg now for ten, almost eleven weeks...had bouts of crying, spaciness/foggy; dp/dr....This is one of the meds I've heard is supposed to help with dp/dr....I wish I knew what to tell you because I'm desperately seeking answers too...still don't feel like myself.

• Posted

Yeah I've heard it can take a while for Prozac to kick in for people and to finally get rid of the fogginess. It's hard to be patient with such an annoying symptom

• Posted

I can relate...not sure if this med or any med will work for me...Today I feel like I have a rock in my head...no clear thinking; just a block..I hope you get an answer soon too
    • Posted

Same, it's hard to even pay attention to the smallest things. Some days are better, but not today lol. I'll keep you updated

• Posted

Kenney...did you ever have bouts of crying with the Fluoxetine? What symptoms have you had and did you ever think they wouldn't ever go away...I've just never heard of anything taking so long. I have been told as well that to wait months as opposed to weeks...just hard to do...thanks!

• Posted

I was having major panic attacks, depression, yes lots of crying spells, and that spaciness/blurred vision, and I also got every side effect in the book, everything started to slowly go away around week 9 to 11 except for the spaciness. I never thought things would get better but they have, very slowly.
    • Posted

That's good kenney...yes, it sounds similar to what I've endured ...mine continue to linger; so frustrating but hoping that it goes away for both of us...thank you again and keep me posted..

• Posted

I know it will, no one has it forever, but I agree it's very frustrating. How long have you been on the 40mg? Have you thought about going up to 60?

• Posted

The entire ten weeks.....I haven't thought about the 60 yet...I'm still so unsure about these meds...feel so off all the time; worried I'm doomed to be like this...

• Posted

Yeah I think like that all the time too, that's just the anxiety though, after 10 weeks on 40, if I were you I'd try 60, it's worth a shot, better to know than to just wonder if it will work. I'm going to give the 40mg 4-6 weeks then I'm going up to 60mg, anxiety sucks and sometimes you have to bring out the big guns if you want to win the battle.

• Posted

You're right....I hope you make the best decision for you....I'm going to think about the 60..

• Posted

I would definitely stay on 40mg longer. You need to give any increase 8-12 weeks in my opinion. Hope you feel better soon smile

• Posted

Hey Aquin thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
    • Posted

Hi Kenny.

​I agree with Aquin. I have been advsed that changing your dose effectively feel like starting all over again in terms of the side effects. I have also read in countless threads that these meds can take anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks to start working, depending on physical factors like metabolic rates for example - and we are all different.

​I thought Id turned a corner a week or so ago, but started week 5 yesterday (also 40mg) and ive been falling rapidly over the last couple of days. When I say week 5, I mean week 5 being on fluoxetine. The first week I was only on 20mg, so perhaps this is the increase in dose catching me now....

​Will hang it out though and see what happens.

Absolute horrible illness, with no quick fix. I never realised how debilitating it could be.

• Posted

thanks for the response Lord, yeah I can't believe how debilitating it is and how long it takes to get better. The "detatchment feeling" is the worst. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for the both of us. biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.