Tiredness weaning down on prednisone ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

My son has been taking prenisone since September starting off on a flare at 40 mg then down to 20 back u to 70 mg with another flare gradually weaning down 5 mg a week now down to last 5 mg and told to stop Monday all together? Should they advise to go to 4 mg or 3 mg etc ?? Also started inflab infusions 3 weeks ago we think it's working has he can eat more and is getting no more pain has was in agony but he says he is getting extremely tired even after 10 hours of sleep ? He said he's constantly tired would it be that he's coming down of the pred ?? Any info would be appreciated x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The 5mg then stop is usually what they prescribe.

It tapers down so.the adrenal gland can kick back in.

Not sure if the influx causes tiredness. However, he has had a rough old time and maybe he just needs to sleep to recover some.

Im glad hes feeling better

If youre worried speak to the ibd nurses perhaps.

Take care

• Posted

Hi,

I was recently taking pred for 10 weeks and came down from 30mg by 5mg every few weeks until I came off them. I think these tablets only come in 5mg form and I was worried about coming off them too.

I did feel very tired after coming off them but after 2 weeks I felt much better as I guess my body had adjusted. There are lots of side effects both being on pred and coming off so it may just be that your son is adapting to coming off them.

I hope he feels better soon and doesn't feel so tired

• Posted

Hi,  I have had crohns now for 53yrs and although I have never taken any of the drugs that you mention here, one of the side effects of crohns that I suffer from is extreme fatigue weakness and tiredness. Not everybody with crohns that I know suffers this side effect but some people do. So whether his tiredness is a side effect of the drugs that he has been taking or as I have described above. I hope that he soon starts feeling better.
  • Posted

Hi Natalie. Is the weaning off prednisone recommended by the Dr.? If it is, yes it could cause the tiredness because the dose has been reduced. I will advice that the patient should try to cope with it and will eventually normalize. I also believe 5mg is the lowest dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.