How does MS tingling feel for you?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have not been diagnosed with MS, my regular doctor dismissed my symptoms but is now referring me to a neurologist. About 6 months ago I got tingling in my face and arms that lasted a few hours. That was it. Then 2 weeks ago I got it again but it lasted about 8 hours. The next day I was very fatigued and my arms were very weak. Last week it started again. The tingling starts in my face around my lips and goes to my arms, hands, legs and feet. It has been going on for a week straight now. It's mostly my arms now, but randomly goes everywhere. First it was tingly, then ached a bit. Now it's tingly and burns. Sometimes I get so weak I can't even talk normal. I have dizziness and my eyesight seems to be worsening daily. Today I noticed it seems like I swallow slowly, like my muscles are slow or something. I don't want to jump to conclusions but this has been going on for a little while. Does this sound like MS? I hear it can take a while to know for sure and I'm just nervous. These symptoms I'm having are not just constant, but seem to be worsening. Thanks for the help!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi mom2fourboys,

Try not to panic too much as I do know that ms symptoms need to last more than 24 hours to fit the criteria.  This doesn't mean that your symptoms are nothing.  MS affects people so many different ways.  It's also important to be very clear when describing your symptoms to your doctor.  For example I used the phrase "like electrical currents going down my legs and arms".  Well, electrical currents implies pain and mine were painless.  So now I've learned to become very aware of sensations.  I would describe it as almost like air bubbles travelling inside my body, going down my arms and legs and sometimes randomly in my torso.  I too have had the numbness on the side of my face.  It is very scary when it's all new and you're not sure what you're dealing with.  I've never taken Ativan before but my doctor has put me on it.  This does help with twitching, tremors and other sensations as well as relieve the anxiety from it all.  Take heart, you are not jumping to conclusions.  When my symptoms became bad I ended up going to Emergency where I was extremely well cared for.  I was admitted to the Neurology unit and all necessary tests including MRI were done.  I'm concerned about your eyesight, speech and swallowing.  These are all good reasons to go to ER.  Thoughts are with you, please keep us posted.

Hugs, Carolyn

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's so crazy because it seems like the things I feel change a lot. Like the tingles initially were just tingly. Then it changed to tingly and aching pain. Now it's also sometimes a burning or stinging type sensation. I also have times when my hands and feet just feel so cold! Like freezing! My husband always says they feel cool but not cold, yet to me it feels like my hand are frozen solid. The vision is the toughest to explain. It's not exactly blurry. Maybe a slight double vision? It's like my peripheral vision fills more area than it should. Like my eyes sometimes randomly slightly misalign. I have an appointment to get my eyes checked, I may just need glasses or something. I have felt like something was "off" with me for a long time. Something that has happened of the last few years that I hadn't thought about is I don't like to be touched much anymore. Like when my husband rubs me or touches my arms I pull away. It's not painful, just an oddly uncomfortable sensation. My skin just reacts weird...Have you ever heard of that?

• Posted

Update:

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. He said while my vision was fine, my optic nerves were a little swollen which is causing my vision problems. He diagnosed me with suspected benign intracranial hypertension. He said that warranted a referral to the neurologist and made me an appointment for next week. That's a relief because my regular doctor still hasn't made that referral appointment yet. So I guess we will see. I am curious as to wether or not this extra pressure could be the cause of all my issues or is it just another symptom.

• Posted

what was the outcome of your appointment with the neurologist?

i am asking this as i have exactly the same sensations you have described.

• Posted

They just called today. The MRI was normal. I have a follow up in a couple weeks to discuss in detail. My doctor was concerned one of my medications was causing all of it. I stopped taking it (Vyvanse for ADD) and the tingling is definitely a lot better, but I still have it and a slew of other things (sore swollen joints, persistent fever, face flushing/rash, cold hands and feet all the time, still headaches every day all day). I think the next step will probably be blood tests for lupus or something else autoimmune. I have psoriasis soy doctor says my chances of having another autoimmune issue are higher. The results are bittersweet, I'm glad it's nothing terrible but I still don't know what is wrong with me.

• Posted

That is  a wonderful news!!! don't get me wrong, but i m happy for you that is not MS. Honestly, i am so scared of it, that even the letters scare me. I even stopped going in Mark and Spenser becouse of the M and S smile

i have my MRI on the 24th but i will go it back home, i was in GP -Twice, and they keep convincing me that i am stressed, or anxiety. I don't believe them.

My initial symptom was: i woke up on the 2/01/2017 and i felt my right lef and arm slightly numb, more like weaken, so i needed addition energy to command them. 

After a week of so i got better, but i started feeling these crazy sensation, like one day i will feel pins/electric tick, the next day will be muscles soreness, next day the arm,... now i feel lightheaded.. and it is driving me crazy.

Most of all, i am so scared: It is not an axiety, it is a pure Fear.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I feel like my neurologist was basically blaming my problems on my weight and "stress from having 4 kids". But I tried to tell him it's not that. My weight gain has been sudden and unexplained, possibly another symptom of something. I'm not crazy, but I think he thinks so. sad

And yes, I'm glad it's not MS too. But at the same time I just want a diagnosis so I can treat this and get back to normal.

Have they mentioned anything they are suspecting with you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.