Will this Prozac work? Will I get my life back?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, please help! I've been taken Prozac for 8 days (no time at, but sorry I'm desperate to feel better!!) I'm taking it for anxiety and depression. I've noticed my anxiety at morning times is 10 x worse since starting it and I feel incredibly sick, with no appetite at all? Did anyone else feel this way? Does it ever stop? I just feel hopeless at the moment and would love to hear from someone who has got through this time, or has any advice!

Kirsty x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty,

yes be assured you will feel better, you must be patient though! If you read the posts on prozac, flouxetine you will see its a slow med to work. It takes at least four to six weeks to become stable in your bloodstream. Dont be alarmed it doesnt mean you will have side effects the whole time, you may have some that come and go.

everyone reacts differently, you may feel better very quickly! Everyone says you feel worse before better, its very normal what you are feeling. I agree its not pleasant, its awful, some medication does that to us. You need to try and float through it, listen to your fave music, watch dvds. Meditation music with fish swimming, or a stream of running water or a beach scene.

you will feel better, keep saying that! Be positive always, but do keep in touch with your Dr if you are worried. Eat well drink lots of water, filtered not tap! Fruit, light meals often. Cut back on coffee if you drink it. Be kind to yourself too!

i know these are only words but im 59 and have gone through alot of trials in life, i know how bad you are feeling right now! Talk about it here you will get lots of helpful advice,

best wishes🌸

• Posted

They sound like the side effects . Been through them myself . There terrible - give it some time . I even got a aching limbs - it takes a while to get in your system . Took me 8 weeks for the symptoms to fade but started another dose last week so I'm a bit anxious low mood at the mo . It will get better I promise .

• Posted

Thank you so much, they may only be words but they mean the world to me right now! I feel in such a dark place that just knowing people have been there and come out the other side is so much comfort.

Kirsty x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, means a lot to know there are people out there going through it too. I have never felt this poorly in my life, I had no idea the beginning of taking meds could make you feel more anxious!!

How are you now with your new dose?

Is it still Prozac?

Kirsty x

• Posted

Yes fluoxetine x was on 20 mg for 8 weeks , then 30 mg then the last week gone on 40 mg . I have been of coming off it but gone too far now .prevousoly I was on it for four years and was fine . My anxiety has stabilised now but left with a depression I think now x
    • Posted

Thank you for being so honest with me. I'm so sorry about the depression, will you receive help for that too? May I ask if you had to go through all these awful side effects all over again when the dosage was upped? X

• Posted

Upped my dose to 40 mg only a week ago x no not as many side effects yet . feel low but less anxiety . Everyone is different I suppose . Get phone counselling off my work and stress control course from the local authority via gp - that is t till march . Are you getting any help ?
    • Posted

Can I ask how you know you needed your dose upping? Can you feel it not working as well? I have a counsellor from Talking Space calling me tomorrow, supposed to be at 9:30 am though and I feel so rough at that time that I might need to rearrange. What's the stress control course like?

• Posted

I have panic disorder, I've been on floux 20mg for 13 weeks, and the last 2 weeks I have been on 40mg, I had terrible anxiety and panic for about 10 weeks and i suffered from EVERY side effect, i was miserable for months, and just now it's starting to go away, it's a very long process, but yes, eventually you get there. My head is still extremely foggy but that's the only syptom left, i heard that can take a while to go away though. I NEVER thought i would get to where i am now, but it works, have faith people. I'm still not myself yet but i'm miles from where I was. keep the faith 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I've never felt panic and anxiety like it at morning times, I'm wondering does that ever get better? Will I be calmer from when I wake up when things have settled or do the meds always have to kick in? Sorry so many questions but I'm struggling so much at the moment.

So glad you're feeling a bit better, sorry you had to go though so much to get there though! X

• Posted

no worries ask all you want. mornings were the worst for me, i could barely get out of bed or stomach any food till about noon time, unfortunately it does take a while to go away, but it does go away eventually, i never thought it would but it does. Dont get discouraged by bad days either, some days are worse than others but that's just how this recovery goes, it's like a 2 step forward 1 step back kind of thing, and the steps are baby steps, you'll get there i promise, just try to stay positive.

• Posted

Noon time is about the same for me too, up until then it feels like hell. Hopefully I'm still managing to be semi decent for my children, but it feels so hard!! It's weird, from about 5am I can feel the sweats and the anxiety coming over me like a cloud, can't wait to escape it!! It's good to hear that it does get better and that I just have to keep going!! How did you know you needed your dosage upping?

• Posted

well i dont even know if the 40mg has hit me yet, i know it can take a while. but I waited about 11 weeks and was about 80% better and my doctor asked if i wanted to try 40 and i said yeah why not. But so far so good with the 40mg, no new side effects or anything, the only thing i have left is that foggy head feeling from the anxiety. I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel from where you are but believe me it's there 

• Posted

Thank you! It's so reassuring to know I will hopefully get there eventually! Honestly can't wait to feel better, this creeps up on you and takes a hold doesn't it?

• Posted

It's easily the worst thing I've ever gone through in my life, that's why I want to reassure people that it does get better, because I thought it never would

• Posted

I've never felt fear and anxiety like it! Thank you so much for replying, knowing that it does get better means a lot to me right now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.