45 minutes excercise

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just read on another forum that 45 minutes of BRISK walking per week is enough excercise for "older" peoplel!!!

Can anyone tell me how anyone with arthritic hips, knees, ankles, etc can walk BRISKLY?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You don't need to walk briskly you just need to regularly move the joints

• Posted

That's not what it said, and I should think "moving your joints" for only 45 minutes per week is dangerously low.😏

• Posted

I guess everyone's idea of what 'brisk' is will vary but I agree, with OA nothing can be done briskly.  There are days when merely getting out of bed and hobbling to the bathroom can be agony.  Exercise is totally essential but one size doesnt fit all and gentle exercise for arthritic joints is probably the best route forward.

• Posted

love the smiley face hehehe.

I personally am guilty of putting off exercise.  On days when I hurt really badly and really only want to stay curled up under the duvet it's terribly hard to motivate myself to keep moving.  I used to swim three or four times a week, around 30 - 40 lengths at a time.  Due to pain and other excuses I've stopped altogether and I really notice how much worse I feel.  Any exercise can be difficult and hurt but the after effects are reduced pain, greater mobility and generally better health and mood.  I keep recommending it to others and yet I find excuses for myself - a case of 'physician heal thyself' I think.  I'm going to take my own advice and take a long slow walk today - yes it'll probably hurt but I know i'll feel better for it afterwards.

• Posted

You could be my twin, Loxie!😀  I have never liked sport of any kind, except swimming - I was a school swimmer.  However, for some reason or another I could 'high jump' - never found out why.  When I reached the grand old age of 14 I refused to jump anymore - the gym teacher nearly did her nut!  I ignored everything she said.  The result was she gave me a 4 (instead of the usual 2) in my report at the end of term (suppose I deserved it - not good sportsmanship)!

I have always, even as a child, disliked walking.  Kept swimming too.  However, for the last year I have hardly been - too much effort - getting things ready, undressing, stacking clothes etc in lockers, showering and then having to do it all again to go home!!!😡

I too make excusses about exercising - I leave all the advice to the 'enthusiast' on here to advise people.

It's a bit early, but have a good, pain free weekend.

Regards fr Constance.   💐💐

• Posted

I'm like you Constance, good intentions but feel so kn****** after I need a few days in bed to recover so back to square one! The exhaustion is hardly worth it to me so i just keep pottering and look forward to spring and a bit more pottering in the garden. Cold weather is no good to arthritic joints so taking note of what AGE UK are saying and staying indoors and warm at the moment. Hope you have a good pain free weekend too. x rolleyes

• Posted

Totally understand what you're saying pollyanna.  I did some long overdue cleaning in my kitchen on Sunday - nothing involving major lifting etc., just clearing out old stuff from store cupboards.  I then had evening classes on Monday/Tues - again nothing energetic (french lesson one night and meditation the next).  I was truly unwell on Wednesday and exhaustion hit as a result of the previous 3 days.  I intended to go for a long slow walk yesterday during my lunch break but got as far as the end of the road and knew it wasn't going to happen.  Came back and took a nap instead - I feel such a wimp  

• Posted

Not a wimp Loxie. You're just doing what your body tells you which is best for you. We know our own bodies best regardless of what the "experts" tell us. Have a good restful weekend all of you who suffer OA etc. rolleyes

• Posted

It isn't the briskly that bothers me, it's the 45 minutes a week. I wonder what they think "older" is - my 82 year old neighbour does more walking that that in a week!

• Posted

I read somewhere that (nowadays) 73 is accepted as being "old".

Mind you, I think there are some 50 and 60 year olds on this forum who feel THAT is old.  

• Posted

I'm in my sixties and to be honest i feel ANCIENT smile

I got sent a youtube link by a friend the other day, of a 90 yr old woman jiving at a wedding reception.  She was awesome - obviously no arthritis for her sad

• Posted

Hope you only feel ancient on some days - there ARE good ones.  I've been in pain for five years now, PMR & Polyarthritis, but my oh my isn't the odd day of very little pain marvelous?😀

My MIL said to me once "I really feel old today" - she was 93 at the time!!  I answered "Mum, you're not old, you're ANCIENT".  She nearly wet her knickers laughing.😀😀

• Posted

I can say that at almost 32 and just being diagnosed with O/A, R/A and Fibro walking briskly is a thing of the past. When I try I can feel my knees and hips cracking and popping. Too much of anything and im exhausted even vacuuming the house so they may be trying to be optimistic but it can be difficult to push to walk briskly at first, maybe work on building up to it. hope this helps smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.