Advice needed....took a diazepam after not having one for 11 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Stopped taking Diaz 12 days ago...GP said it was ok. I only took as and when needed (sometimes once or twice a week) Iv had 3 weeks worth of 2mg tablets (63 tablets all together) over a period of 4 & 1/2 months. My last tablet was on the sat (I'd taken 4 that week as anxiety was bad due to my period)

Anyway....I had a rubbish couple of days on the Sunday and Monday but picked up slightly on wed and thurs. the fri and sat were great, hardly any anxiety at all....no racing thoughts during this 1 week period. Then Sunday I dipped and it got worse day by day (I'd started a new brand of citalopram on the Friday) don't think it agreed with me. After 3 days of hell (mon, tues and yesterday) I took a 2mg Diaz at 3pm yesterday. It took the edge off slightly for about 2 hours. Today Iv not taken my citalopram yet as waiting for new script to be delivered. I'm coping slightly better than I have been the last 3 days.

Is that because I took the Diaz at 3pm the day before? Not sure if it was withdrawal after 11 days without one or not. Today my thoughts aren't racing and Iv no inner vibrations like I have been.

Could the 2mg Diaz I took at 3pm yesterday still be working on my system?

After it wore off last night I felt dreadful again yet today it's not as bad. Don't know if it's because I havnt taken the citalopram yet or if the Diaz from yesterday is masking the anxiety still x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you look it up, you'll find the half-life of Valium is 20-100 hours. Take it from there.

• Posted

So u think it's the diazepam causing it? And that's why I'm slightly better today? Even though I was still feeling dreadful last night?

• Posted

Maybe if you had a good night's sleep, that's what will have helped.

• Posted

Iv been sleeping well lately on a night so can't be that x

• Posted

Hi again, just been answering your other question.

i also only take diazepam as and when needed. I think the longest I ever took it was 3 days and only 1 per day although I was allowed to take 3. I have gone without it before for 3 weeks but have one now and again when feeling crap. I have had 3 this week! I was lead to believe that diazepam withdrawal symptoms only happen when they are taken regularly over a few weeks, not every now and then. I would love to take them every day to be honest but don't want to get addicted although I'm not an addictive type of person apart from cigarettes. I don't drink or anything like that.

my diazepam usually works in about 15 mins and lasts about 6 hours.  If I hold off all day and take one in the evening, I don't feel the effects at all for some reason! X

• Posted

Hi, how long have you been taking them as and when? And what mg? Mine are 2mg. 4 doctors, a consultant and a pharmacist have said it's not withdrawal but I'm not convinced. About 9-10 weeks ago I didn't have any for 2 weeks. In the last 9 weeks Iv had 22 tablets (just 1 weeks worth) only take when I literally can't cope anymore. I had 4 last week which makes me wonder if after 8 days I would start withdrawing. I had 1 at 3pm yesterday as I was sooooo bad and it only took the edge off for 2 hours then came flooding back. Iv felt slightly better today but not sure if that's because of the Diaz I took yesterday x

• Posted

Mine were given to me when I first started the cit in November. Like you I only took them now and again. I was told by the doctor I could take them for 3 to 4 weeks continuously and would be ok, no issues. I think the longest I've taken them was 3 days. I've also had long periods without them. I do have a packet left and also another prescription if needed.

i took one yesterday at about 7am, haven't needed one today although I was very anxious this morning and could quite easily have popped one but am trying to ride it out.  

Do you have to work?  How old are you if you don't mind me asking.  I'm 48 and in the UK. x

• Posted

I'm 33 and I'm the uk. I'm off sick from work as I can't work as I am, my anxiety is way too bad. also had to take a year out of university. I started mine in the middle of sept (diazepam) but only actually taken 3 weeks worth since then. I was on citalopram when my anxiety came back, I'd been on it for 4 years. But GP switched me to sertraline when my anxiety didn't get better and I had an awful time on them and ended up in hospital so had to come off them and from 29th Nov went back on citalopram.

Do u manage to work? Have u had anxiety before? X

• Posted

I do go to work, I had two weeks off when I was really bad and then made myself go back. It's hard every morning though and the lads I work with can tell instantly when I walk in that I'm not right as they can see it in my face! Somehow I get through the day and do everything. I also have to deal,with customers and somehow do that as well although I hate it when they want to stay and chat, just want them to bugger off!! Trouble is, they are used to me being a happy chatty person, not this weird wreck lol. 

Ive been on citalopram before for pnd and it worked perfectly. However, I didn't have anxiety then. I think anxiety is the stronger emotion which maybe harder to get rid of, who knows! But no, I haven't had anxiety before this.

When you were on citalopram for 4 years, did it work then? X

• Posted

I admire you for still being able to work. When mine is bad I feel like I'm losing the plot! And it feels like I'm dying!! It's so so awful....all day everyday 😔

Yes I was on it 8 years ago it worked great after awful side effects...plus cbt. Then came off them after 18 months and all was ok. Then 2 years later it came back so went back on them and had more cbt, and after 4 months I was ok. Did my A levels and 2 years at uni and it's come back again! This time it's worse (well it wasn't this bad at the beginning but since I came off them and on sertraline things have got worse) now I'm back where I started on the same dose yet I'm still no better. Start cbt again next week so I'm hoping that helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.