Accuracy of blood tests?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been ill a lot since Xmas with cold and flu symptoms... chesty cough with and without mucus, achey, temperature, night sweats etc. It got me worried there may be a serious underlying condition, I suffer with health anxiety anyway. I had a blood test 5 months ago which was normal and after going to the doctors had another last week which again came back normal. I felt better over the weekend but got another cold / coughon Monday, feeling better today but I've had bad night sweats. My doctor said it's likely that I'm just getting recurrent viral infections and that there's a lot of it going around. Basically should I trust the doctor and the blood tests? I know I should but I've never been this under the weather for this amount of time. I think I've had 3 viruses since Xmas. I'm 29 male non smoker.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Cold and flu inefections does not mean that FBC will become abnormal. 

They will still cause symptoms of fever, cough.....

• Posted

Thanks for your response Rocky, what I was asking though is if there was an underlying condition it would have come up on the blood test, right? I'm just anxious that's all.

• Posted

Not all underlying conditions show up in FBC. Examples include autoimmune disorders, infectious conditions of viruses, bacteria, etc. For these you need to have special serological/PCR tests done. 
    • Posted

But if there was anything wrong with my blood such as a serious blood disease this would have shown up? These recurring infections are new to me that's all. Maybe I'm just run down and there's a lot of it going around. Thanks again for your help smile

• Posted

yes, definitely hematological (blood) disorders will show up with full blood count and differentials. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.