Fibromyalgia v chronic fatigue syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was recently watching a documentary and the doctor referred to fibromyalgia as chronic fatigue syndrome has anyone else looked into this, looking up on a bit of research and my symptoms match both conditions, mainly chronic fatigue syndrome, although diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I just found it very interesting or am I just being naive.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trisha, yes the symptoms of both conditions are very similar. Although I don't think CFCs sufferers have the positive pressure points that we fibromites have.

• Posted

Sometimes I wonder if the use of Fluorquininolas might have something to do with CFS . . . like cipro floxacino etc.
  • Posted

Hiya trisha, most Fibromyalgia sufferers also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome I am one of them..I was diagnosed first with Sorgrens Syndrome, then Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, then Fibro.., they are all autoimmune condition that actually overlap..many of the symptoms are exactly the same, and it is a huge minefield..I for one suffered for 10 years before I hit my first diagnosis,,Iwhich was 30 years ago now..be blessed trisha and have a lovely weekend coming...I'm in Oz,  so it's tomorrow for us.,yay...having a weekend  away..yay😘😘😘😘💐

• Posted

Good for you, you really enjoy yourself, you deserve it, your answer makes sense to me, a member of my family had commented on my slurred speech and uncordination, and found it embarrassing, so if it makes sense to me that it's normal, these symptoms, then it's up to them if they can't deal with them, then it's their choice and for once it felt good to say it's part of my illness. Xxxxxx remember you enjoy your holiday xxx

• Posted

Have a lovely weekend Christine. I always love your posts, you're so positive and embrace life with both arms! xx😊😊

• Posted

I was diagnosed with cfs after having epstein bar or mono. Weird thing is I only had a sore throat and fever not the extreme fatigue, a year later the fatigue hit. My doctor back then told me not to give into it. I muddled through and was ok for a while. But if I overdid it at work I would be laid out. It wasn't until almost 10 years later that I got it full force and this time it was cfs and fibro. The pain was different with the fibro. As we're some of the symptoms. I think they go hand in hand.

I can usually determine which one is flaring by my sleep. Fibro I wake up in the middle of the night with pain and get up to walk it off. Chronic fatigue I am so tired I can literally sleep all day. I've slept up to 18 hrs straight.

• Posted

yes I agree Kiki, now I've done further investigation it all fits in and makes sense, I get everything that your saying, thank you so so much xx

• Posted

I think CFS and fibro are definitely related, it seems many doctors in the US consider them to be different manifestations of the same disease. I started getting pains all over my body three months ago that my doctor thinks is fibromyalgia. I'd never heard of fibro before and he didn't know that I've been suffering with constant fatigue / tiredness for the past 25 years. I've always supected I had CFS but have just lived with it and drunk far too much coffee to get me through the working day. I spoke to an old GP about it 20 years ago but he didn't seem to know much about CFS. In my case I suspect it all goes back to a bad case of glandular fever I had when I was 18.

• Posted

Exactly Tom. Glandular fever hides in your body for life. I thought once I had it that I was done. I recently learned that it can reactivate. It lives dormant but when we get run down our immune systems can't always fight to keep it suppressed so it comes back out. I recently had 2 major cases in 2 years. I did not know that my neice's immunization shots could trigger the infection. But I learned that it is part of the herpes virus so when she got her measles shot, which is also a herpes virus, caused it to reactivate. Some people will get cold sores we get glandular fever and cfs. I haven't found any research that explains why we are different though.

• Posted

That's what I mean tom, it's like you can't get a definitive answer, I feel I'm always being passed from doctor to doctor with all different symptoms, I'm so peeved, now it's giving me slurred speech and disorientation so I can lose a step especially if I've not had enough sleep, which sometimes is impossible. However, now it's affecting my personal relationships because it's been mentioned to me that it's like I'm drunk, I don't touch a drop, and that they are embarrassed to be seen with me, that was a real slap in the face. I've now had to tell them that it's not my fault, but I don't think the believe me, it's so much added pressure.

• Posted

Hey Trisha. Have you had a brain CT or mrI? I'm just concerned with the slurred speech and losing a step. Do you have any sight problems? My cousin has ms. And we have similar symptoms but she also has more difficulty with speech, walk and sight. The only way to tell is through a scan.

I'm not a doctor. And I don't want to alarm you but I think it's something that you should have checked.

• Posted

I had a stroke a couple of years ago so I still think I've got problems from that which get exasperated because of the fibromyalgia and CFS, it doesn't happen all the time, I don't know when it happens, I know I stumble a lot more now, but that's also due to athritist and all other problems, it's just so hard to cope sometimes. Thanks Kiki xxxx

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I was just worried that by getting passed from doctor to doctor that it may have been overlooked.

Stay strong and don't let anyone say that your illness embarrasses them. They should be embarrassed for not being there for you during these hard times. If it was them going through it they would want your support. Hang in there!

• Posted

Awww thanks Kiki, you have brought a tear to my eye,  know your right, I've never met you yet you get it. I just wish everybody did, it would make all of our lives so much easier. Xxxx big 🤗 

• Posted

Oh sweetie. So many don't understand. I'm lucky with my family cause they understand better because of my cousin. My friends don't understand why I miss so many events. But the one place you can come to is here. We all have the same issues and are here to support each other. It's an open forum not only to ask questions but to share information and listen. Know you are not alone and we will be here for you !

• Posted

Thank you so much again Kiki xxxxxx I do appreciate everyone's support 😘 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.