Bulging disc whats the future

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

?Im on here on behalf on my wife, she is a team leadre for Tescos an dhas been suffering from back pain since May 2016, we have been to the docs and the hospital and heres a brief breakdown of events so far.

?Just need some advice on whats next and if we qualify for any benefits because she will have to step down from her job and do less hours.

?Back pain started in May 2106 after pulling in heavy shop cages for Tesco for 6 years, had an MRI scan in june 2016 and was told she had L4 L5 bulging discs and trapped nerve affecting left leg.

The first steroid injection was into the leg nerve and she had a allergic reaction and was in hospital for 24 hours with hot and cold temperatures.

?The second injection was a cordal epidural into the back and that was even worse a 5 day stay in hospital with no feeling in the thigh on the left leg and still has no feeling and now has to walk with crutches where as before she could walk fine.

?The doctors have now told her they will give her no more injections and she has an appoitment on the 10th march to see the next step, she is on ?Gabapentin 600mg, Tramadol 50, Amatriptoline and Oxicodone every 2 hours and this is only taking the edge off the pain.

?Her sick leave runs out in 8 days and we really dont know what to do, her work have offered her a stock control which means down to 20 hours a week ut mobility getting to work could be an issue as she used to walk and can now barely walk without the aid of crutches.

?So please please some advice on the following:

What will the doctors suggest next.

?I this something that will now last a lifetime.

?Do we go down the road of PiP  and houding benefir because apart from my wifes health our financial situation will change dramatically.

Thanks

Dale

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Could she put in a claim to Tesco?  Did she ever report any instances where she hurt her back?  I also had L4,l5 and S1 herniation and disk crumbling and was in terrible pain. I opted for an operation as otherwise I could see myself in a wheelchair.  It was a rough journey just 1.5 years down the road it was the best decision I made.  I can do everything I use to but am always careful. I get the odd pain now and then but a hot bath or hot water bottle and everything is OK.  Do Tesco have an Occupational Health Department where they can just adjust her duties and keep her on the same hours for the same pay?  Even if she has to work less hours she should be entitled to protected hourly rate for the position she is working at the moment.  Not sure where you live but if its the UK she may qualify for PIP benefit whilst working or Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Posted

I've had 2 injection s both didn't work and made me ill I ended up in hospital 5 days with my second one. I've had one emergency discectomy decompression 2013 now awaiting the second discectomy and spinal fusion. I wouldn't go bck to work if she can manage it, why not go down the rd of pip. Google pip descriptors and see if u feel ur wife fits the criteria. Don't push the bck I did and am knackered for life good luck

• Posted

Hello Jessica

I have had a L4 L5 decompression discectomy in early December 2016, I was just wondering why you have had to have a second surgery with fusion. I have been really careful with my recovery but any tips or help from yourself would be great fully received.

• Posted

Unfortunately I have further disc problems on other disc and degenerative disc diease and erosion of the left facet joints . My surgeon believes I should have been fused first time round . My disc r drying out leaving little space between vertebrates causing the 2 that were previously operated on to rub together. I've been extremely careful since my op . But no matter how much or how little I do. It still causes the same pain and problems. I also have fibromyalgia and inflammatory joint diease as well as hyper mobility, so am not just a simple case. My problems are hereditary, so the the doctor s believes my gran my auntie my 3 cousins 1 been male and 1 uncle all on my dad s side have back problems. Guess iam just unlucky, but because iam strong minded I cope better than some mentally. Some days do get you but my thoughts on that are , there's always some one worse of than me.

• Posted

Also they only removed 3 quarters of l4/l5 in my first op . What's left has gone to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.