Foot stress fracture possibility

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can a foot stress fracture only have bruising & some swelling without pain? I only have a little soreness when moving my ankle around. The top of my foot is bruised & maybe some swelling around my ankle joint.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I fractured my foot several times and had only ankle swelling and bruising with no pain.  So many times in fact I just went thru a very extensive foot and ankle surgery because there were some bones that had shattered and where there were fractures and shatters bone spurs had grown to the point I could not bend my foot fully where it meets the leg.  Because of the complications that can arise if it goes untreated you may want to consider getting an x-ray.  A friend of mine also had a foot stress fracture that she did not stay off of and she ended up having surgery where the doctor cut her heal bone off and repositioned it to lift her arch and take the pressure off the fracture. My best advice is follow whatever the doctor says because so many times I would not wear the walking boot long enough or not stay off of it long enough and it all caught up to me eventually.  Ice and elevate high above your heart and stay off of it until you get it evaluated gives you the best chance of recovery.  
    • Posted

You are welcome.  I hope it is nothing serious and you heal quickly.  I just know many times I did not go for an x-ray because it did not hurt only to find out later there were fractures.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.