?side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone experience diarrhea with long term gabapebtin use at high doses? I've been on 3? Years and I'm taking up to 3000mg. I'm at my whits end and I'm getting tested for other bowel infections but if this is possibly the culprit I need to start weaning.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Gabapentin for three years now too. I am up 4800mg per day. Diet is very important. For the past year and half I am on a vegan diet but high fiber; fiber one in the morning and lots of beans all day(bean salads). Never any bowl problems except too regular
    • Posted

So I need more fiber maybe. I have a eating disorder as well so maybe I'll try some Metamucil. Thanks for replying

• Posted

Remember that you need 1/2 fiber than age; I am 66 so I need 33 grams of fiber per day. Hard to get unless I eat high fiber foods. No OTC products
    • Posted

Unfortunately I cannot blame my "irritable bowel" symptoms on Gabapentin as I have only started it 2 weeks ago and am taking 300 mg 3 times a day with the ok from my neuro to increase to 600mg 3x day if needed. I have always had probs (mainly constipation) which is a fairly well known symptom of ms (I was diagnosed in 1987). I have to be aware of drinking plenty of water as well as fibre intake. Prunes, bananas and when really problematic "Metamucil". I also suffer from colicky pain often and need to take anti bloat/gas meds, but I read somewhere that pure honey is really good for bowel symptoms, so I have been taking a desertspoon full of honey each day and it has really helped with those probs. But I do believe from personal experience that if I don't drink enough water and have a daily walk, things go wrong "down below".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.