Alpha lipoic Acid for Non-diabetes Peripherial Neuropathy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've seen that Alpha lipoic Acid(ALA) became lately as a good pain reliefer for diabetes Peripherial Neuropathy (PN), If I understood right it's even become an official treatment in Germany for diabetes  patients. 

But I didnt found an answer through the internet: Does ALA can also help Non-diabetes PN patients ?

Does anyone knows ? 

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I tried it for a while, but it didn't seam to be of any help. I don't have PN nerve damage that is caused by diabetes, so It may work for others. It will not hurt to try.

Always Persevere....

• Posted

I've been using it for awhile

But I realized that it has to get into your system and be consistent with your dosage

It definitely takes the edge off

I don't like the side effects of the other meds

• Posted

I use meds that are low in side effects because of problems with the meds traditionally prescribed for PN. The key phrase is "to take the edge off" because in my experience no med will completely make the pain away. The more pain that you take away, the more bad side effects of the medication.

In my case, less is better and just take meds that take the edge off so that i have a somewhat less painful life. 

• Posted

I also try exercising and soaking in a jacuzzi or hot baths

It's constant work but it does help

• Posted

My doctor just put me on this suppliment. I have been low on B12 for a few years and alimony not diabetic. Hope this does help anyone who is trying it.
  • Posted

Hi Have you had your vitamin D , calcium, parathyroid hprmone levels checked? Also you may like to ensure that you are not anemic as a Prnicious anaemia can cause PN.
  • Posted

Jane that's a great idea

Shablul it would be beneficial to you to get these tests

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.