Loss sense of smell since bronchoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a bronchoscopy two days ago. They numbed my nasal passages and throat. I now have no sense of smell and therefore no taste either. Is this natural? Wasn't made aware that this could be a side effect and the telephone number on the discharge letter is not working for me to call them. Just wondering if anyone else had this and how long it lasted? Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Seems unusual. Some airway irritation may be a risk. Suggest calling your GP.
    • Posted

I called the bronchoscopy deot for advice and they told me to call GP. GP seemed at a loss and suggested that if no better on Monday to go and see them and maybe have to have a beconase spray. I just hope it's a localised trauma and will rectify itself .

Having no sense of smell or taste is very unpleasant.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Posted

I had a loss of smell after infection. Regained about 60 percent I would guess. Take heart as I'm sure you will recover. I know how it feels.

• Posted

Hope it is resolved soon, but if it does persist, you could ask the charity Fifth Sense for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.