I think I have ovarian cyst and I'm terrified

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I reallyyy need some advice or maybe stories from women who've experienced similar things to ease my mind. My period is almost 3 weeks late. At first I didn't think much of it. Took a pregnancy test last night and it was negative so I'm not pregnant.. but earlier this week I started getting midly painful cramps in my left ovary which I thought could be pregnancy so I took a test and ignored it. As the days have came along, they have gotten worst. It almost feels like period cramps just located near my left ovary. Last night while getting dressed, I noticed that my skin is swelled a bit near my left ovary.. it could possibly be the lymph node, I'm not sure.

I have pressure and tightness in that area. period like cramps and constant trips to the bathroom. I'm not vomiting or anything. The pain isn't even extreme, it's just scaring me. I have an appointment next wednesday, but im considering going to the emergency room. Naproxen has been helping me so far. I'm just wondering if this sounds like a cyst to any of you ladies? I got an internal scan back in october and there were no cysts present, so this is surprising to me. I know you guys can't diagnose me, I would love some advice. Thank you.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I took my first pregnancy test this past monday and it was negative. I took another yesterday to be sure. Just clarifying
  • Posted

See you gyno. It could be simple issues and other more complicated. A gyno exam can give u diagnosis and treatment in minutes then ur off to feeeling better! 
    • Posted

Thank you! My period came today and the pressure eased up a bit near my uterus. Hopefully that is a good thing. Ill update after I visit my doctor with the results, just in case I can help anyone else in this situation
  • Posted

Update: So I've noticed a few things since having my period. The first thing is I've been VERY ill this cycle which is unusal for me. It was to the point I couldn't stand up straight without wanting to barf. I don't think I've really ever felt that ill before. It was the second day of my period and subsided, but I still feel pretty nauseous.

Second, my period blood smells way stronger than it's ever has. I've been showering 5 times a day and it's still strong. My period is still flowing normally after 3 days when it normally ends by this point as well.

The last thing, is the front of my thighs are sore and my legs feel weak when I walked. I noticed this earlier after taking the trash out. I've felt this for a few days now, but recently thought that it could be somehow tied to my ovary bothering me.

The pain on my left ovary isn't as bad anymore, although it's still there. I just feel more nauseous and weak than anything. I'm wondering if this could possibly mean a cyst rupture? Hmm.. Will update once I go to my appointment.

• Posted

That will be good to hear how you go at the Drs,all the best there.

I had a very early miscarriage a few years back,my period was very different to normal,back ache and clottier bleed and neg tests.I don't really know what the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy are,and I kinda think by what you are saying it could be cysts?Just don't really know .

Hope you are feeling well in yourself,take care x

• Posted

I've recently had a Dermoid and hemorrhagic cyst removed from my right ovary. My pain started as period like cramps for about a week but I was mid way between periods and I'm pretty regular. About 5 days after these cramps began I started getting sharp sudden pains in my left side, sort of between where my appendix and ovary is. I got admitted to hospital with suspected appendicitis and had an ultrasound that's when it was discovered I had these two cysts, and the hemorrhagic one was beginning to rupture. I had no swelling or bruising anywhere. I also felt quite nauseous, didn't have much of an appetite and couldn't tolerate hot drinks. Toilet wise was pretty normal, wasn't going any more than usual and it didn't hurt. Only difference was I started bleeding a little which is when they realised I was beginning to hemorrhage and I was rushed into surgery to have both cysts removed.

I hope the symptoms I have described of my experience help you with yours. Get better soon x

• Posted

Sorry I meant sharp sudden pains in my right side, not left. I'm currently on lots of medication to relieve the pain and I get my left and right confused at the best of times!

• Posted

Omg, how scary! I'm really happy you were able to get your situation resolved. Thanks for the info. Will keep it in mind!

• Posted

Totally sounds like an ovarian cyst.. but not to worry! These are totally normal. Around 8 am two days ago, I started bleeding heavily.. I wasn't supposed to be on my period. Around 11:30 pm, that night, I started having cramp-like pains on my right side. It was so painful, it was keeping me awake. I was up until 4 am before I finally drank some zzzquil to go to sleep. Woke up around 5:30 pm, and the pain had subsided but it was still kind of there. So I went throughout the day feeling okay thinking I'd hurt myself at work or something. So I went skating, and within 3 minutes, I wanted to go home. I was shivering in pain and it only got worse throughout the night. Finally, I went to the hospital. I thought I was having a miscarriage. I had a lot of blood in my urine. But no miscarriage, my appendix and kidneys are fine. But they spotted ovarian some cysts and they think one may have ruptured. They said ibuprofen is about the only thing that can help me through the pain and the rest should even itself out. It is now 8 am and I'm finally home and in bed. I'm going to make an appointment with my primary care doctor when i wake up later. I hope all goes smoothly with you and yours!!

• Posted

So your pain felt like really bad period cramps? For some reason I think Naproxen would work better than ibuprofen (although that's subjective). I have really bad period cramps which is why I think the pain didn't phase me too much, but ibuprofen never really tackles the cramps as much as Naproxen does. Even the really strong doses doesn't work. I really hope you feel better!!

• Posted

Thanks so much for your input guys! 

So, i actually found out what was causing the intense nausea and fatigue. It was actually a new pack of BC pills I started last week to help with the cyst and my period. I stopped taking them to be sure and all of my symptoms went away. 

I still occasionally feel cramps in my side, but they have dwindled down a lot, which makes me believe the cyst is shrinking, if that's indeed what it was for sure.

I saw my GP and he referred me to a Gyn so I can get an ultrasound and figure out what's going on.

But I'll say, for most ladies if you are experiencing pain, that doesn't necessarily mean it's deadly or you have to rush to the emergency room. I waited it out and all of my symptoms dissipated after my period surprisingly. Even debating on seeing the Gyn now because I feel back to normal. Still going to go though.

• Posted

And I was feeling intense pressure and period like cramps near my left ovary, which is why I believe it to be a cyst. The pain would shoot down my legs sometimes. Just saying incase someone is experiencing those same symptoms. Mine went away after my period started.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.