Vitamin D deficiency, but...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Today I got a call from my drs office giving me the results of my blood test. The nurse said my Vitamin D levels are at 25 when they are meant to be at 35-100. She told me to take 1000 IU a day and it should help but the thing that confused both her and I is that I take 2000 UI a day. What should I do? I already suffer from Major depressive disorder and am always very lethargic and sore so I know having lower Vitamin D can't be helping.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

. Apparently the brand of Cit D your taking isn't working.

You can continue to take 2000 IU but convert to another brand

• Posted

I was level 26 and took supplements and slowly my level increased. It takes quite a while.  25 is just on the edge of deficiency rather than insufficiency. I believe around twenty five per cent of the population in UK are vit D insufficient. My pharmacist's assistant was found to be 26 much to the embarrassment of the pharmacist. 

• Posted

I've been on them for a long time now so I don't think that is the problem..

• Posted

What were your levels to start with? Perhaps you should have had a higher dosage.
    • Posted

So, what is your Vit D level now? 

Lethary and depression are related to your stress levels. 

Have you been to vacation in southern Europe, Africa, Australia, or other sunny places lately ? 

• Posted

I struggle with Anxiety, Depression, and bipolar daily I was born into a family with a lot of mental ilness. I haven't had a lot of stressful things happen lately so I don't know if that's really the problem.

• Posted

Ok, then its a different problem than Vit D levels, although sometimes they could be related. 

Just have good social life and enjoy life to reduce stress and see if it works for you. 

• Posted

My level was 17 and was put on 20000 iu twice a week for 9 weeks. I then had another blood test and it was 75. I would increase your level to a higher amount and yes, buy a reputable make.I'd also call the nurse and ask her where she got that info as you were bothered by what she said. I hope that helps.

• Posted

The approach recommended by UK hospital trusts (Gateshead is an example) is to take something more like 60,000 IU per week, either as a single dose or 3 x 20,000IU, for about 8 weeks and then check the levels again. If they are OK you continue with a suitable maintenance dose (here in northern Italy where I live it is recommended to take 2,000 IU/per week, despite the amount of sun we get!). These high dose version can be prescribed by the doctor - as they have to be ordered specially in the UK I think.

However -   if you are taking 2,000IU per day, you really should have some investigations done because it would appear that you may not be absorbing the vit D and there are a few reasons for that. On the other hand - it may be that you are just using it all and not increasing the baseline level.

• Posted

Hi my result was 20 and I was prescribed 20000 units of fultium d3 daily for 2 weeks followed by a maintenance dose of 800 daily for 60 days  then be retested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.